Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it usual ?

Hi there folks,

Any way here is the thing, I've been using iPhone 5s (black) for the last couple of months and it's really beautiful and well designed and it just fits there in your hand and your pocket. A few days ago I noticed that my touch ID sensor is turning darkish blue some how I mean you can see that there is a variation of the color I can't tell if that's usual or it's a sign of a close malfunction, so help!

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 10:23 AM

Thanks for the tip, I tried to clean it before but the color is just still there apple community was a last resort for me, I checked out an article on the web regarding gemstones (oxide mineral) and how they were always treated during the elder times, people used to avoid touching these gems because they are sensitive to a grease that is produced by the human hands regularly (from the palms to more specific) the gems won't get scratched or any thing but it will lose the shining and the translucent, will this affect the functionality of the touch ID in case if the embedded sensor uses the translucency of the sapphire chip to get a clear view of our fingerprints in order to scan it, and I still can't figure out if the same goes for the sapphire on the iPhone, in that case the color variation will never go away and it'll probably stop functioning right or as it should, it's a shame for us to be imperfect for such perfect hardware.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2014 10:23 AM in response to sterling r

Thanks for the tip, I tried to clean it before but the color is just still there apple community was a last resort for me, I checked out an article on the web regarding gemstones (oxide mineral) and how they were always treated during the elder times, people used to avoid touching these gems because they are sensitive to a grease that is produced by the human hands regularly (from the palms to more specific) the gems won't get scratched or any thing but it will lose the shining and the translucent, will this affect the functionality of the touch ID in case if the embedded sensor uses the translucency of the sapphire chip to get a clear view of our fingerprints in order to scan it, and I still can't figure out if the same goes for the sapphire on the iPhone, in that case the color variation will never go away and it'll probably stop functioning right or as it should, it's a shame for us to be imperfect for such perfect hardware.

Aug 18, 2014 8:37 AM in response to 0memo0

Hey there 0memo0,

It sounds like you have some concerns about your Touch ID sensor being discolored. If you've already cleaned the phone using these guidelines:

iPhone 5s

Clean iPhone immediately if it comes into contact with contaminants that may cause stains, such as ink, dyes, makeup, dirt, food, oils, and lotions. To clean iPhone, unplug all cables and turn it off. Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. The front glass surfaces have an oleophobic coating. To remove fingerprints, wipe these surfaces with a soft, lint-free cloth. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal use, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch the glass.

To clean the Home button (allowing Touch ID to work optimally), wipe it with a soft lint-free cloth.

How to clean Apple products

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3226#iphones

I would schedule an appointment at a local store to have it evaluated:

iPhone Repair - Other Repairs

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Is it usual ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.