Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine

How do I change the external hard drive for the time machine? The current 1TB USB drive is getting full (not backups) and I am thinking of adding a new 2TB drive so would like to transfer the time machine to work on the new drive. How do I do this and will I lose any of the old saved/backedup data?

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 10:35 AM

2 replies

Aug 19, 2014 6:00 AM in response to Niel

Hi,

I purchased a WD Ellements disk and did as you suggested. It all started fine and was clearly going to take a long while so I left it running and went to bed. In the morning the disk had ejected itself leaving lots of error messages. Luckily I still have the original time machine backup. I then tried to copy a smaller set of folders, approx 66Gb, it completed but just after the disk ejected itself again. The only way to get it back is take its poet lead out and restart it, but it has ejected 3 times now. I have raised a case with WD but so far not happy, any ideas?

Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.