Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes number of files is incorrect?

The number of files displayed in my iTunes window is 451 and no duplicates.
The number of files in iTunes Media is 679, many are duplicates
Why this discrepency ?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Maverick man

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 2:40 PM

30 replies

Aug 17, 2014 4:54 AM in response to Bomiboll

Bomiboll wrote:

Then I have a hard manual work to do, so I can be certain that all my sound files appear in iTunes
Is there no command that collects all soundfiles from my Finder into iTunes ??
I think iPhoto has such a command 😕

Just use the command Add Folder to Library. It will add the ones it doesn't already have, and will skip the ones that it already has.

Aug 21, 2014 1:09 PM in response to Bomiboll

Bomiboll wrote:

The number of files displayed in my iTunes window is 451 and no duplicates.

The number of files in iTunes Media is 679, many are duplicates

Why this discrepency ?

Perhaps you removed some duplicates from the iTunes interface in the past without deleting the underlying source files at the same time?

Your iTunes Media folder may contain files that are not music, but some other media kind. Even if added to the library these may show up in different places within the library, or you may have added music items that are located outside of the media folder, so it may often be the case that the two values don't agree.

In addition to the method ed has suggested see http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=musicfolderfilesnotadded2 in case you want to review what would be added first.

tt2

Aug 21, 2014 1:33 PM in response to turingtest2

My iTunes library contains only sound files

Your link seems unintelligible.

I have transformed iTunes Media so that it is a long list of files only, i e no folders.

The folders were of no use to me.

But having a list of soundfiles (nothing else) allows me to check if the number files is the same as
the number of displayed items in iTunes window
Now they are the same but I have lots of duplicates

How do I remove the duplicates ??

Aug 21, 2014 2:43 PM in response to Bomiboll

There should be 228 files that you added within the last hour or so. (Perhaps earlier if you'd already followed ed's suggestion when he made it, but you should know the time frame.) If you sort the duplicates list on date added (which includes time) you should be able to find the first of these that also show as an exact duplicate in your library. Having selected the first you can then scroll to reveal the last. Shift-clicking this file should select the range which you can then delete.

You can click show all to reveal all files again. You may want to review the other recently added files in case there is anything here you had intentionally discarded in the past and you now want to delete again. Similarly you may want to give the trash one last visual check in case there Is anything that was duplicated in the folder but neither copy was connected to the library before the recent import, and that you deem worthy of rescue.

tt2

Sep 2, 2014 1:22 AM in response to Csound1

tt2 mentioned the command "Show Exact Duplicates"
What is the difference to "Show Duplicates" ?
That command is very unreliable. Nor would I use the app (not free) of your suggested site (dougscripts)
I have Gemini. But not even that finds all duplicates, although it is better than iTunes

Then I use other file seekers (Finder is no good either) such as Easy Find (who suggested that here on the Forum ?) or Find Any File

So it is no easy thing to find the duplicates in iTunes.
If you think it shows the duplicates, double check with other methods and you may discover oddities with iTunes

iTunes number of files is incorrect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.