Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i recover old imessages

I would like to be able to go back to messages from a year ago. Is there any way for me to access them?

iPhone 4 (8GB), null

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:42 AM

@nlago

We show you three ways to restore text messages you deleted from your iPhone.

1. Login to https://icloud.com with your Apple ID and password

2. Click on Text Messages (if it isn't there your messages haven't been backed up).

3. If it is there searched the messages to find the ones you need.

4. Now go to your iPhone and choose Settings, iCloud on your iPhone.

5. Turn off Text Messages (or ensure it is turned off). I know this sounds counter intuitive but stay with it.

6. You'll see a pop-up. Select: 'Keep on My iPhone'.

7. Now turn back on text messages.

8. Tap 'Merge', and wait. After a few minutes the deleted text messages should appear back on your iPhone.

Restore deleted texts on iPhone: from iTunes backup

Don't worry if the above didn't work. We have two further options to try. First let's try recovering deleted SMS messages via an Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

1. Connect your iPhone to the PC with which you sync it. iTunes should open (if not, open it manually).
2. You should see your iPhone in a box, top righthand corner. Select it.
3. Now choose 'Restore backup'.
4. All the data you previously backed up will now replace the data on your phone. It will take a few minutes. As long as you haven't backed up subsequent to deleting those text messages, they should now appear on your phone handset.

Restore deleted tests on iPhone: use a third-party app

If neither of the options above has worked, it is time to go nuclear. Well, not nuclear exactly but it may cost you a couple of quid, and there is no guarantee it will work.

<Link Edited By Host>

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 9:42 AM in response to nlago

@nlago

We show you three ways to restore text messages you deleted from your iPhone.

1. Login to https://icloud.com with your Apple ID and password

2. Click on Text Messages (if it isn't there your messages haven't been backed up).

3. If it is there searched the messages to find the ones you need.

4. Now go to your iPhone and choose Settings, iCloud on your iPhone.

5. Turn off Text Messages (or ensure it is turned off). I know this sounds counter intuitive but stay with it.

6. You'll see a pop-up. Select: 'Keep on My iPhone'.

7. Now turn back on text messages.

8. Tap 'Merge', and wait. After a few minutes the deleted text messages should appear back on your iPhone.

Restore deleted texts on iPhone: from iTunes backup

Don't worry if the above didn't work. We have two further options to try. First let's try recovering deleted SMS messages via an Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

1. Connect your iPhone to the PC with which you sync it. iTunes should open (if not, open it manually).
2. You should see your iPhone in a box, top righthand corner. Select it.
3. Now choose 'Restore backup'.
4. All the data you previously backed up will now replace the data on your phone. It will take a few minutes. As long as you haven't backed up subsequent to deleting those text messages, they should now appear on your phone handset.

Restore deleted tests on iPhone: use a third-party app

If neither of the options above has worked, it is time to go nuclear. Well, not nuclear exactly but it may cost you a couple of quid, and there is no guarantee it will work.

<Link Edited By Host>

how do i recover old imessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.