Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Ipad is disabled, will not respond to restore on Itunes and will not shut down

I have a Ipad 3, (64 gb of memory) that is 2 1/2 years old.It has the latest operating sysem installed. It became disabled when i set it back to an old setting and i think i did not carry out the prosess corectly. It worked after i made the switch but when it went to sleep (and there was a very short drop) it asked for my pass code. I entered the correct code and it would not take it, saying it was wrong. It started to time me out and then I must have tryed too many times. So I tried to restore it thru Itunes a couple of times. I am not sure i was doing it correctly or if I buggered it up in trying, because what i see on You tube does not match with what comes up when I get on Itunes. It would shut off and now i can't even shut it down, it says it is diabled and to connect to Itunes.

Can some one give me direction as to what to do now?

iPad, iOS 7, not sure on operating system.

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 4:33 PM

6 replies

May 17, 2017 8:40 AM in response to Diavonex

Unfortunately...Not helpful

Followed all suggested steps...multiple times

Computer downloading iPad software update (processing file)

Has been doing so all night...looks like about 80% done ...

Message on computer screen says

"To allow access, please respond on your iPad..."

Which is impossible to do since iPad is disabled..

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Aug 16, 2014 4:56 PM in response to miker@glasgow

FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTunes (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port.

DO NOT RELEASE BUTTON until you see picture of iTunes and plug

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTunes has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note:

1. Data will be lost if you do not have backup

2. You must follow step 1 to step 4 VERY CLOSELY.

3. Repeat the process if necessary.

Aug 16, 2014 5:23 PM in response to miker@glasgow

How can I unlock my iPad if I forgot the passcode?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/ipad-troubleshooting-repair-faq/ipad- how-to-unlock-open-forgot-code-passcode-password-login.html

iOS: Device disabled after entering wrong passcode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

How can I unlock my iPad if I forgot the passcode?

http://tinyurl.com/7ndy8tb

How to Reset a Forgotten Password for an iOS Device

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Forgotten-Password-for-an-iOS-Device

Using iPhone/iPad Recovery Mode

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/a/Iphone-Recovery-Mode.htm

You may have to do this several times.

Saw this solution on another post about an iPad in a school environment. Might work on your iPad so you won't lose everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘iPad is disabled’ fix without resetting using iTunes

Today I met my match with an iPad that had a passcode entered too many times, resulting in it displaying the message ‘iPad is disabled – Connect to iTunes’. This was a student iPad and since they use Notability for most of their work there was a chance that her files were not all backed up to the cloud. I really wanted to just re-activate the iPad instead of totally resetting it back to our default image.

I reached out to my PLN on Twitter and had some help from a few people through retweets and a couple of clarification tweets. I love that so many are willing to help out so quickly. Through this I also learned that I look like Lt. Riker from Star Trek (thanks @FillineMachine).

Through some trial and error (and a little sheer luck), I was able to reactivate the iPad without loosing any data. Note, this will only work on the computer it last synced with. Here’s how:

1. Configurator is useless in reactivating a locked iPad. You will only be able to completely reformat the iPad using Configurator. If that’s ok with you, go for it – otherwise don’t waste your time trying to figure it out.

2. Open iTunes with the iPad disconnected.

3. Connect the iPad to the computer and wait for it to show up in the devices section in iTunes.

4. Click on the iPad name when it appears and you will be given the option to restore a backup or setup as a new iPad (since it is locked).

5. Click ‘Setup as new iPad’ and then click restore.

6. The iPad will start backing up before it does the full restore and sync. CANCEL THE BACKUP IMMEDIATELY. You do this by clicking the small x in the status window in iTunes.

7. When the backup cancels, it immediately starts syncing – cancel this as well using the same small x in the iTunes status window.

8. The first stage in the restore process unlocks the iPad, you are basically just canceling out the restore process as soon as it reactivates the iPad.

If done correctly, you will experience no data loss and the result will be a reactivated iPad. I have now tried this with about 5 iPads that were locked identically by students and each time it worked like a charm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try it and good luck. You have nothing more to lose if it doesn't work for you.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

my Ipad is disabled, will not respond to restore on Itunes and will not shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.