Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mackeeper Ads and Pop-ups (How Do I Remove Mackeeper?)

I have never installed Mackeeper. It just randomly showed up.

When I google something, ads come up (even though I have adblock) and pop-ups about Mackeeper comes up (even though I have pop-ups blocked). Also, whenever I try to watch a video on Youtube, the white space where ads are supposed to be gets bigger (which I am positive is because of Mackeeper).

What the ads look like:

User uploaded file

What happens when I try to watch a video on Youtube (the white space gets bigger): User uploaded file

It's making me really frustrated. I've looked through many discussions about this and I've tried different solutions but none of them work. I've looked through all of my files and cookies and everything and I've deleted everything that had Zeobit and Mackeeper but that hasn't worked. I've tried GlimmerBlocker and Appcleaner but those haven't worked either. I'm not sure if Mackeeper is some sort of virus or just some marketing thing to **** me off. I just want it removed completely from my computer. My main browser is Google Chrome but Safari was also affected by this.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 6:29 PM

It's malware ...

Download and run the adware removal tool here > The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide

Easy, safe, and only takes a minute or two.

2 replies

Sep 6, 2014 9:08 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I used that too. The ads were SO annoying. Literally any page I clicked on would open up another tab with some advertising on it.

http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

To be honest I was a bit worried at first, as it meant installing some other foreign item to my Mac. But thankfully it was fine. Whoever made it, made it very easy to use. They also wrote a 'read me' doc going through FAQs. He does add a disclaimer saying that it might not work so don't get annoyed at him if it doesn't.

Anyway, it worked for me so I'd recommend.

Mackeeper Ads and Pop-ups (How Do I Remove Mackeeper?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.