Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"the specified account already exists"

I am having issues with iTunes. OS is Windows 7, 64-bit. The Apple Software Update errors out when trying to update it to the current version.

So I tried uninstalling it from the Control Panel. I get an error "The specified account already exists," which then halts the uninstall process. I get the same error if I try to just install the current version of iTunes.

So I can't uninstall, and I can't install, and the current install looks to be somehow corrupted.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 6:41 AM

Hello there, MikeMcClure94.

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes can be a challenging endeavor and must be done in a very specific fashion. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some in-depth instruction for how to remove and reinstall iTunes on Windows:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2014 6:41 AM in response to MikeMcClure94

Hello there, MikeMcClure94.

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes can be a challenging endeavor and must be done in a very specific fashion. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some in-depth instruction for how to remove and reinstall iTunes on Windows:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Sep 18, 2014 7:12 PM in response to MikeMcClure94

Hello Mike. I just slaved over the same problem. For a variety of reasons along this line, I encountered the inability to upgrade from iTunes 11.3 to 11.4. When I decided to uninstall and install the new version I repeatedly hit this hurdle. From an email I received from Apple Support I was led to was to use a Microsoft tool that has the following explanation:

Automatically repair issues that block program installation or removal because of corrupted registry keys.

What it fixes...

• Corrupted registry keys on 64-bit operating systems
  • Corrupted registry keys that control the update data
  • Problems that prevent new programs from being installed
  • Problems that prevent existing programs from being completely uninstalled or updated
  • Problems that block you from uninstalling a program through the Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) item in Control Panel

After downloading and running, it indeed found 2 registry issues that it fixed AND completed the uninstall. The new install worked perfectly. The program was

found at

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en-us

Good luck.

Sep 30, 2014 8:34 AM in response to MikeMcClure94

Hi

I have the same problem, "The specified account already exists" but unfortunately the link to the Microsoft page kindly given by Jtwiz is now blank.

I get this problem after an upgrade from Apple to i cloud 4, (for windows 8.1) no longer can sync with Outlook contacts.

Everything tried, from several support forums, cannot uninstall current version of icloud,, will not allow, deleted files etc, all failed.

Any help would be appreciated

Sep 30, 2014 10:33 AM in response to marklutterworth

Try this alternate link to that fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

"the specified account already exists"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.