Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When trying to update iTunes I receive a "Object already exists"

I Have a gateway 6 gb ram 1 tb harddrive

WWindows 7 64 bit

home, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 4:33 PM

24 replies

Aug 18, 2014 10:53 AM in response to house105

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Aug 18, 2014 4:32 PM in response to ceaser pacheco

The section Install missing components has advice on breaking down the iTunes installer into the individual .msi files which might prove useful if one component won't install normally. It might at least narrow down which component isn't installing right now, but unless we know which object it is complaining about it may still not install. See this post for a method to generate log files during the install of the problem component: Re: AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi for windows 8.1

tt2

Aug 22, 2014 3:42 PM in response to turingtest2

i have done all the information provided above to no avail, i have even gone as far as to create a new admin account, delete all other accounts with all the files, and still no results i still get the "object already exists" when running the installer. I have even downloaded a registry cleaner and the same result. please someone has got to have a solution to this problem. i am a streamer on twitch.tv and i stream my "IOS Apple games" on this website and the program i use "

x-mirage" to mirror my device to my computer and capture the game-play onto the streaming website relies on i-tunes to be able to run, without i-tunes i cannot use it to stream, i have not been able to stream for two weeks because that's how long I've had this problem. please someone i need a fix to this quick!

Aug 22, 2014 4:25 PM in response to ceaser pacheco

Have you the advice in the second half the secionInstall missing components? Which, if any, component would install?

Have you tried logging the install of each component? It might reveal which object already exists.

Have you tried using the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Utility to drive the installation? It may be able to force the process through.

tt2

Aug 23, 2014 2:51 AM in response to ceaser pacheco

Aha! Do you have Trusteer Rapport Endpoint Security installed? Even if you don't try try this...

For "Key not valid for use in specified state" errors try moving the folder RSA from C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA to say C:\RSA (just in case there should be a need to restore it) then try installing again. This folder appears to act as a cache and should be rebuilt automatically as required.

This could be a different error message for the same underlying problem. If it makes no difference put the folder back where it came from.

tt2

Aug 24, 2014 12:21 PM in response to turingtest2

I have now called iTunes Support and they now have turned this issue over to an engineer. I was on the phone with Support for over an hour with Level 1, then Level 2, then with an engineer. We created a folder on the "C" drive just for iTunes, we then broke out the individual components of the install package so each could be installed separately and the error occurred on the first item AppleApplicationSupport.msi Before calling Apple Support, I also tried turingtest2 advice to this issue which seems logical, however the unfortunate thing is that you wind up unistalling your working iTunes program, and are unable to re-install it so you are left with no iTunes. I have even tried his last suggestion from today regarding moving the RSA file and still the problem persists. My issue is now with the Apple Support Engineers as an open CSR but have not heard anything back yet since Friday evening when I called.

I am currently running on a Dell Vostro 3500, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit with the latest Service Pack update which by the way I installed just days before updating iTunes. I am using the latest version of Google Chrome to download and I am installing it as the administrator.

Aug 24, 2014 1:06 PM in response to jggjul8

jggjul8 wrote:

.. I have even tried his last suggestion from today regarding moving the RSA file and still the problem persists. My issue is now with the Apple Support Engineers as an open CSR but have not heard anything back yet since Friday evening when I called.

Sorry it was another blind alley, but thanks for the feedback. It does seem that this issue is somewhat more stubborn than usual. You may find iTunes isn't the only software that won't update right now. The only other line of attack I can think of is system restore back to before you attempted to upgrade. It isn't always successful in making iTunes run again but it might be worth a shot.

Should Apple get back to you with a solution I'd be grateful if you would share it.

tt2

Aug 29, 2014 12:05 PM in response to jggjul8

I have the same issue. My i-tunes was working fine, then the next day, " I-tunes has stopped working". I uninstalled it per Apple's instructions, now it won't install. Only get the "object already exists". I tried to chat with support but they replied, "Technical support expired". How in the world does tech support expire for an application that I just downloaded? What is wrong with Apple?

I hope you get a reply from them soon.

When trying to update iTunes I receive a "Object already exists"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.