You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled a little water on my MacBook Pro

Hello,

Yesterday I spilled a little water on my macbook (Yeah, I'm stupid), but it didn't stop working, and I wanted to ask if is there anything more that I can do to guarantee that nothing will happen to it.

Here's the story:

I spilled about a teaspoon of water on my Retina MacBook Pro in its top right: on the metal, the keys near (and including) the power button, the back ventilation holes and the right sound output. The macbook didn't stop working, it actually stayed normal, but I immediately turned it off (and accidentally turned it on right after turning it off, but it was normal and I then clicked the "power off" button on the screen instead of pressing the power key again because I was afraid some water could enter inside it). I removed the water quickly (probably none or very little water entered the little sound holes), put it upside down and tilted it to try to take the water off (mainly from the ventilation holes).

After letting it stay for some time upside down, I returned it to normal position and removed the keycaps of the buttons where the water spilled, but the water didn't seem to have entered, because all of them were dry below the keycap (I didn't remove the power keycap to see though, because I didn't want to turn the macbook on). Then, I used a vaccum cleaner to try to remove the water from the ventilation holes (and it removed a little water) and the little sound holes. After that I put the side of the macbook that I spilled the water on inside a bowl of rice. It has been one day and I didn't turn it on.

I am thinking of letting it stay about one or two more days there inside the rice before trying to turn it on again. It seems that no harm was done, because before turning it off it was completely normal (I turned it off) and no water seemed to enter though the keycaps, and I am letting it stay turned off just to guarantee that it will be ok.

Is there anything more that I can do? Do I need to go to iPlace (the only place in my city that offers technical support - There aren't any genius bar's in my city) and ask them to do anything?

Thanks for all the help I can get. I just bought this MacBook and it would really be a problem if it stopped working or if it dies in two months. Is this corrosion thing really a problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 7:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 12:34 PM

I'm posting this to give anyone out there who accidentally spilled water on their macbook hope. I accidentally knocked my water bottle over and it spilled directly on my macbook pro keyboard. I quickly picked it up and flipped it over in an attempt to drain out the water. A fair amount poured out of my computer. Leaving it upside down I grabbed a paper towel and kept dabbing the keyboard to get any additional moisture out. My computer was still turned on this whole time. After no more water came out on the paper towel I flipped it back and set it on my desk. The screen went black within seconds. In a panic I turned it back on. It fired up and went to the log in screen and I started typing my password. Halfway through it went black again and wouldn't turn back on. I then turned to google and found quite a few stories of people who spilled water and by turning their computer off immediately and fully drying their computer they had success and it turned back on. In hopes that there was a slight chance I didn't fry the hard drive I left my computer upside down on an air conditioner vent at home for 1 week. I attempted to turn it on and still nothing. I attempted to plug it in and no response from the power cord (little light on the power cord didn't even light up). In a last attempt I turned my blow dryer on the cool setting and blow dried the keyboard and inputs on the sides for about 10 minutes and then let it sit on the vent again over night. Still nothing the next morning so I took it into the Apple Store. They took it apart and said there was water on the hard drive and SSD and said that to replace these two would be $1,500. I decided I may as well just buy a new macbook rather than replace parts so said I would just take it home as is. They put back together the next day and I picked it up a few days later. At the two week point post spill I was about to go out and buy a new computer but for the heck of it pushed the power button and was amazed to see that my macbook booted up! I logged in and everything was as it was before the spill. All keys work just fine and when I plugged it in it began charging!! I've been using it all day today and am typing this very message from it!! I think having the Apple Store take it apart and leave it over night made everything dry out properly and that's why it's miraculously working now! Hope this helps anyone else out there who is as accident prone as me. From now on only spill-proof sippy-cups at my desk!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2015 12:34 PM in response to RenatoUtsch

I'm posting this to give anyone out there who accidentally spilled water on their macbook hope. I accidentally knocked my water bottle over and it spilled directly on my macbook pro keyboard. I quickly picked it up and flipped it over in an attempt to drain out the water. A fair amount poured out of my computer. Leaving it upside down I grabbed a paper towel and kept dabbing the keyboard to get any additional moisture out. My computer was still turned on this whole time. After no more water came out on the paper towel I flipped it back and set it on my desk. The screen went black within seconds. In a panic I turned it back on. It fired up and went to the log in screen and I started typing my password. Halfway through it went black again and wouldn't turn back on. I then turned to google and found quite a few stories of people who spilled water and by turning their computer off immediately and fully drying their computer they had success and it turned back on. In hopes that there was a slight chance I didn't fry the hard drive I left my computer upside down on an air conditioner vent at home for 1 week. I attempted to turn it on and still nothing. I attempted to plug it in and no response from the power cord (little light on the power cord didn't even light up). In a last attempt I turned my blow dryer on the cool setting and blow dried the keyboard and inputs on the sides for about 10 minutes and then let it sit on the vent again over night. Still nothing the next morning so I took it into the Apple Store. They took it apart and said there was water on the hard drive and SSD and said that to replace these two would be $1,500. I decided I may as well just buy a new macbook rather than replace parts so said I would just take it home as is. They put back together the next day and I picked it up a few days later. At the two week point post spill I was about to go out and buy a new computer but for the heck of it pushed the power button and was amazed to see that my macbook booted up! I logged in and everything was as it was before the spill. All keys work just fine and when I plugged it in it began charging!! I've been using it all day today and am typing this very message from it!! I think having the Apple Store take it apart and leave it over night made everything dry out properly and that's why it's miraculously working now! Hope this helps anyone else out there who is as accident prone as me. From now on only spill-proof sippy-cups at my desk!

Aug 18, 2014 11:40 AM in response to RenatoUtsch

You don't have a repair place either? I don't know that I would send it in without knowing what may or may not need to be fixed. I also would not be able to tell them what to do as I'm not a repair person - I would simply tell them what happened and what you've done since. They're the experts; they'll check and test it to see if anything needs fixing. So if you have no repair place or Apple store, I'd probably call or chat with their support first to find out how to proceed.

Aug 18, 2014 11:58 AM in response to RenatoUtsch

I recommend you do nothing more than you already did. Sending it to someone for evaluation will only result in one of several possible outcomes: it is determined to have had liquid damage, in which case the repair will be expensive and not covered by warranty, or that they can't find anything wrong and send it back to you. The possibility of the repair facility damaging something through ineptitude or neglect may not be immediately evident, or that they may not be aware of or admit, is another possibility.

Liquid damage, if it exists, will not be rectified by using isopropyl alcohol or any other solvent at this point. Corrosion, if any exists, will have already occurred and cannot not be removed without replacing the components affected by it.

It's quite possible the water did not contaminate any components at all, and that your Mac is perfectly fine.

Aug 18, 2014 12:30 PM in response to John Galt

Yeah, you are right.

I turned my MacBook on and it is perfecly OK, the speakers are fine, the keys that I spilled water on are normal and everything is working fine. Maybe I am just a very lucky guy and no water contaminated the internals of my macbook 🙂

And what you said is totally true. I am from Brazil, and I don't trust the repair facilities here. Because of that sending it to a repair facility is my last resort. I'm afraid that they'll say that the macbook has some problems when it is completely ok or that they'll damage it and charge me for fixing it. Things like this happen here, unfortunately.

If there is nothing I can do to to stop any corrosion without replacing the components there is no motive to send it to the repair facility.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Spilled a little water on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.