Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC Minni Crashes Router - MBP Works Fine

I have 3 computers (2 MBPs and 1 Mac Mini w/server). The All computers are running Mavericks. Recently I moved into a new house in an East African country. Below are the facts, though I may lack specific technical details in terms of numbers, as the problem is going on at home, and I am currently at work.

Previous home, same country: Ran my Time Capsule off of the main Linksys router in the villa to create my own internal secure network. Everything worked fine.

Moved to a new house and was provided with a new DSL modem for that location.

Connected DSL to the Time Capsule. Utilized Wi-Fi function.

The MBPs have no problems connecting to the Internet.

The Mac Mini connects to the Internet for approx 1-3 minutes, then loses connectivity.

Turned off Wi-Fi and connected an Ethernet cable directly from the Time Capsule to the computer. Same results.

Took Time Capsule out of the equation, and connected the Mac Mini directly to the DSL Modem. Same result.

Called local TelCo and they switched out all the wiring (Internal Cable, Ethernet, Phone Line), and brought a new, in the box, DSL Modem/Wi-Fi Router combo.

Leaving the Time Capsule out of the equation, I attempted to connect my Mac Mini and MBPs via Wi-Fi to the new device. Again, the MBPs worked fine, the Mac Mini lost connectivity after a minute or so.

Connected via Ethernet from the DSL/Router directly to the Mac Mini. Same result.

The TelCo guys had me log into the router via IP (192.168.1.1). I look at the statistics and saw rapid, heavy packet loss when connecting with the Mac Mini.

Googled the issue, and came across another person with the same problem. Their posted resolution was to change the channel in the Router.

I changed the channel in the router, and rebooted it and my Mac Mini. Same problem persists.

My questions:

1. What causes a Mac Mini to suddenly start causing routers to crash? The TelCo tech suggested maybe I got a virus. Will run a virus scan when I get home.

2. Does the router (I'd prefer to use my Time Capsule) need to be manualy configured a certain way (i.e., do I need to be in PPPoE, DHCP, Bridge)?

3. Does having the server running matter?

4. What are the significance of the various IP addresses, and what are the implications of IP ranges and conflicts (i.e., the server has a different IP syntax from the router, which is also different from the computer itself [I've seen IP ranges of 205.XXX.XXX.XXX, 192.XXX.XXX.XXX, and 10.XXX.XXX.XXX for the various connected devices]).

5. What is the signifigance of changing the channel in the router (I am not a network guy, so try to speak in n00b terms)? I changed it from Automatic, to channel 1, to channel 2, to channel 3. No changes.

6. Ultimately, what is the solution.

Mac mini, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 12:57 AM

3 replies

Aug 18, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Pharaoh850

Is the Mini using a Static IP maybe?

1. Not much indication of a virus right now.

2. If using TC & router, one should be in Bridge mode.

3. Possibly, open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

4. 205.XXX.XXX.XXX is likely your outside IP seen by the world, possibly DoD? 192.XXX.XXX.XXX is what most Routers use other than Apple's. 10.XXX.XXX.XXX is likely your TC.

5. Some devices work better or experience less interference on some channels than others.

6. Possibly...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Nov 22, 2014 12:01 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply. I should have indicated that I had tried most of your recommendations. I am currently not using a static IP, but I did test using one, and it didn't resolve the problem.

I had adjusted the various settings in the TC, including bridge mode. I eventually tried using just the TC and the modem, and I tried taking the TC out of the equation. I had narrowed the problem down to my Mac Mini at least.

Turns out the 205.XXX.XXX.XXX IP is my Server address (I'm running OSX version 10.9.4 Server version 3.1.2)

How do I know what channel works best? Just try them all?

UPDATE:

So, I tried all of the above. Nothing works. I hate that I can't get my Mac Mini going because I like to use it as my network resource for my other devices.

It appears that it's the MacMini that is the source of the problem. There are no viruses, but it IS running the Mac OSX Server. It was not a problem in my previous location, but it is now. I wonder if I get a Lynksis router and set it up like I had it at my old house, if that will work. Currently, my setup is a DSL and my TC running to it via Ethernet. Everything else is connected wirelessly.

May 9, 2015 11:24 PM in response to Pharaoh850

UPDATE: 6 months since last post and still no resolution. I tried using a Linksys router like it was set up in my last location to no avail (I mimicked the exact last known good setup). Now I am back to using my MBP as my primary, which is fine except for the fact that if it is turned off for any reason, I have to unplug everything, remove it from the docking area, and open the lid to turn on the power. Also, my firewire connected RAID drive keeps it from coming out of sleep mode for some reason. Anyway, I'd like to connect the Mac Mini to my network WITHOUT it having an Internet connection. Is that possible? Or is it possible to essentially slave the Mac Mini to the MBP?

MAC Minni Crashes Router - MBP Works Fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.