Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet fails to get IP from DHCP - but only in one location

I have a MacBook Pro with Retina Screen, about 3 months old. For the past six weeks I have been happily attaching myself to the wired Ethernet network here, by DHCP. Then, about 10 days ago, this stopped working. I did two unusual things at that time:

1. I installed VMWare Fusion to test something
  2. I went to my wife’s office to use their internet and tried and failed to set up a proxy service to get online there.
Since the time that I did these things, I have been unable to connect via the Ethernet at the office, although I can connect via Ethernet at home on the ADSL Router. I can connect fine by wireless, both at home and in the office.

I have got rid of all the VMware stuff - following their instructions for manual removal and tried new locations and deleting and re-enabling services in the Network Prefs. Still the same - a self-assigned IP address. I have also removed all the proxy information

I have searched these (and other forums) and tried everything suggested.

Any thoughts?

I'm running 10.9.4 and all is up to date.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 2:58 AM

13 replies

Aug 19, 2014 7:19 AM in response to seagreenman2

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Aug 22, 2014 2:16 AM in response to seagreenman2

Try a different network socket, try a different patch lead.

Are you really using Ethernet at home? Most people use WiFi at home, it is possible to have both active and WiFi might be providing the connectivity you think the Ethernet cable is. Double check you are not unknowingly using WiFi at home.

While your description makes it sound less likely, possible network related causes would be that the socket your using is segregated from the rest of the network by a VLAN setup and hence cannot communicated with the DHCP server and the rest of the network. This is common on corporate networks. Another possibility is that your network is now using a network access control system like 802.1x and your Mac is not authorised to connect. With VMware installed your Mac will show up as having multiple MAC addresses (not to be confused with Apple Mac) and this might have upset such security.

Aug 22, 2014 6:46 AM in response to etresoft

Dear all

Thank for all your helpful suggestions. It is strange to report that this now resolved. Strange, because it was resolved by enabling a new network socket on a new port on the switch, and hey-presto! An IP address and routing to the internet. Strange as well, as I had tried before on a different port on the switch.

Still don't really understand what happened.

Aug 22, 2014 9:07 AM in response to seagreenman2

It may have been an ARP cache problem. Network switches use a protocol called ARP to map IP addresses to MAC address and keep a table of which MAC address is connected to which port. Normally the time such entries are stored is short enough that any problems would expire from the table fairly soon and hence resolve themselves but in this case maybe it got confused.

By using a different port it will have detected a new entry and readded it to the table. Turning the switch off and on, or using network management (if it has it) to tell it to 'flush' the ARP cache would probably have also cleared this.

Aug 22, 2014 10:34 AM in response to John Lockwood

I think you may be right - it certainly seemed like something got confused! I won't be going near that Proxy server or VMWare Fusion again.

Fingers crossed that that is the last I see of that problem. What made it worse was that the wireless signal in my office seems to die at my door - so forcing me to sit in the lobby to get any bandwidth.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Ethernet fails to get IP from DHCP - but only in one location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.