Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with iPod playing LAME encoded MP3's

I've noticed that since the most recent iPod software (1.2 on a 5G iPod with video) update that my ipod has porblems playing back certain MP3's. The behavior is that when one of these files are chosen for playback the iPod will reboot itself and not play the file. The one simularity between all of these files is that they have been encoded using the LAME MP3 encoder. These aren't files I'm producing myself they are Podcasts.

Anyone have a simular problem or know a solution?

Apple Macintosh G5, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2006 3:55 PM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2006 8:49 AM in response to Bill Streeter

LAME encoded podcasts were the first ones that I noticed it on, but I have since found that others are doing the same thing. I the podcast is not AAC I generally have an issue. Well, I'll take that back. It is weird, but for all of the podcasts that say "Unknown" for the encoded with field on the Summary tab for the track in iTunes, I do not have the reboot issue.

Oct 11, 2006 2:02 PM in response to Bill Streeter

I am having a similar problem. I have several mp3 files I have pulled directly from CD's and I can not play a single one of them on the iPod. Each time I try to do so the iPod shuts down and reboots. I am very frustrated as this is the entire reason I purchased this device.

The same files which crash the iPod can be played from within iTunes, even when I play them from the iPod folder on the left side of the iTunes window.

I purchased this Apple product because of their reputation for being rock steady. So far I am very disappointed.

Can someone please address this issue and at least give us a work-around?

Oct 12, 2006 12:14 PM in response to Kerry Sanders

It is nice that they finally acknowledged the problem, but it needs to be fixed. :)

🙂 indeed. i'm monitoring the following document pretty closely, to try to keep general track on developments with iTunes/firmware issues:

Articles modified in last 7 days

... but the mono mp3 issue is one of the ones i especially hope to see a document modification show up about.

fingers crossed, enough people know the location of the 5th gen product feedback form:

Product Feedback

... and are making enough bug reports about this one to flag it as a high priority issue.

Problems with iPod playing LAME encoded MP3's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.