Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset USB ports?

I know that there is a huge problem with apple devices not showing up in windows, which is part of the problem. However I have new problem.

When I plug in the ipod shuffle to the USB port nothing at all happens.

I used to plug it in and it would say unknown device or device was not installed sucessfully. Eventually it even stops saying that. Now it doesn't even show up in the device manager. Did I lock the device from being used some how? I've tried all the ports. all other usb devices work. Is there a way to reset the usb ports? I can plug the device into a wall socket to charge it just fine. Its the little guy with the audio jack base. I belive its a 2nd Gen. my computer is an HP elitebook running windows 7.

I finally bought the charger after months of not being able to listen to music and now this. I'm so frustrated. I even extracted the apple mobile device installer and tried to install it separetly. Even the latest itunes didn't work. I won't even know if I fixed the problem since the device wont even show up now.

I'd appreciate any insight.

iPod shuffle, Other OS

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 9:51 AM

5 replies

Aug 20, 2014 7:10 AM in response to sniperzombies

Hi sniperzombies,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear on exactly what you are describing. In the first post you said that it wasn't even showing up in the Device Manager, but in the second you said that Windows recognizes it. I'm also unclear what you mean by "installations of iTunes ... fail"; do you mean that you are unable to install/reinstall iTunes at all? Depending on the situation, you may find these articles more useful:

iPod: Appears in Windows but not in iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1363

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Regards,

- Brenden

Aug 20, 2014 7:17 AM in response to brenden dv

For a while it stopped showing up in device manager. Now it does, but says its unknown. If I try to update the drivers manually it just tells me the device is up to date. If I uninstall it, it re installs correctly but still shows up as unknown device. It doesn't show up in itunes at all and windows doesn't pick it up as a drive like it did with my old computer. I believe it has something to do with the drivers. I've tried all those steps from the previous articles. THe worst part is it works on my work computer running the same OS, but of course thats kind of a pain. But at least I know its not the ipod. Also it wont even charge through the computer, I have to plug it into the wall.

Aug 20, 2014 3:00 PM in response to sniperzombies

Hi sniperzombies,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Community. If you gone through the above linked articles completely without reaching a resolution or a direction for further troubleshooting, you may find more information by using another one of Apple's support resources - https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

Regards,

- Brenden

reset USB ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.