Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Pro connected to the Router but not the Internet

2010 Mac Pro connected to the Router but not the Internet using the build-in???

Safari 7.0.6

I have many devices on the router, so I know the connection is good.

Sometimes I get a connection, but then it boots me off.

Checked the blogs, but the solutions where pre-Safari and the screen don't look the same.

Using Comcast as my ISP.

Thanks for any advice!

Mac Pro, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 11:36 AM

3 replies

Aug 18, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Nictco

How many devices, some Routers/Modems have a limit of 8 or 10 connections?

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Aug 18, 2014 1:03 PM in response to Nictco

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them. In that case, there's no need to repeat the answers.

Have you restarted your router and your broadband device (if they're separate) since you first noticed the problem? If not, do that now and see whether there's any change.

If your browser is Safari, then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Any change?

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select the Advanced tab in the Preferences window and uncheck the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

Any change?

Quit and relaunch the browser. Any change?

Log out and log back in. Any change?

Enable Private Browsing in the Safari menu. Any change?

Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test. Any change?

If Parental Controls is active for any user, please turn it off and test. Any change?

If only Safari is affected, launch the Activity Monitor application and enter "web" (without the quotes) in the search box. If a process named "Safari Web Content" is shown in red or is using more than about 5% of a CPU, select it and force it to quit by clicking the X or Quit Process button in the toolbar of the window. There may be more than one such process. Any improvement?

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Photo Stream, if it's checked. Any change?

If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

2010 Mac Pro connected to the Router but not the Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.