Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation behaviour with spaces and sentence starts

I have been using dictation for several months now with great success. Its behaviour has suddenly changed. It now insists on placing a space before every sentence, thus indenting the first sentence of each paragraph by one space, and defaulting to putting a double space between sentences; which I do not like. Further, the double space is often applied if I print whilst pausing for thought, mid-sentence.

Has anyone else noticed this change in behaviour?

I could not swear, but I suspect that it was triggered when I turned dictation off in system preferences, at that point not realising that this reset my cache on the server. Having said that, even when I first started using this system several months ago, it never did this.

I have since tried toggling dictation off then on, and also trashing the relevant preferences:

com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs

com.apple.speech.recognition.feedback.prefs

com.apple.speech.recognition.recognizer.prefs

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas around this?

[In this post, I have left the one space paragraph indentations, but had to manually delete those between my sentences and clauses.]

Best regards,

Justin

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 12:05 PM

2 replies

Dictation behaviour with spaces and sentence starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.