Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes opens automatically when I disconnect my bluetooth speaker

I have a Bose Soundlink Mini paired with my Macbook Air and play sound from various applications (Spotify, VLC, Chrome etc.). If sound is playing and I shut the speaker off, the sound will continue playing from the computers internal speakers, which is expected and wanted, but it will also cause iTunes to automatically open for some inexplicable reason. I don't know why iTunes launches, but it is very annoying.

After browsing the internet for a solution I've tried to disable iTunes helper by removing it from the list of automatically launched programs upon login and then also opening the iTunes.app package and renaming Contents\MacOS\iTunesHelper.app to something else. This did not stop iTunes from automatically launching when I shut of the speaker however.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can prevent it? I don't mind preventing iTunes from automatically launching altogether for whatever reason. But I would like to avoid to uninstall iTunes completely if possible. Suggestions are welcome!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 2:16 PM

8 replies

iTunes opens automatically when I disconnect my bluetooth speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.