Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep Safari from launching Mail when I click on a mailto: URL?

I have a MacBook running Mavericks 10.9.4, running Safari 7.0.6.

I read my email via the gmail website, so I don't need to use the Mail application. The problem is, if I accidentally click on a mailto: link, it runs Mail.

I've seen some fixes online which change the mail application to something else, but that's not what I want; I want to stop the behavior entirely.

Any ideas? (I know about modifying .plist files, so if there's a quick hack there, that would be nice to know.)

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 5:18 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hello, I am having trouble with implementing this solution. After creating the AppleScript app I it as the default application in 'Mail'. This appears to work, however when I quit then restart Mail the chosen application has reverted to 'Mail'. Do you know how I can get the selection to stay, rather than revert to Mail?

Context:

• Have Mailto extension installed and active on Safari, running OS X Yosemite
  • Wanting to open mailto links with Gmail, however current behaviour that it opens Mail
  • If I use this solution How can I stop Mail from openingonly a new blank tab in Safari opens, no Mail nor Gmail
  • I believe I have privileges etc. set correctly

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How do I keep Safari from launching Mail when I click on a mailto: URL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.