Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use unlocked Bell Canada Iphone 4s in U.S.A?

I have this unlocked Bell Canada Iphone 4S. I tried to ask Verizon and AT&T and was told by both that it will not work in their system. Can anyone advise which carrier in U.S. can I use for this phone?

thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 4:05 PM

20 replies

Aug 19, 2014 6:34 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks for your response! I called bell Canada and paid $50 to ask them to unlocked the phone. But when I brought the phone to AT&T, they said their system could not recognize the IMEI number. I suspected there possibly were two reason. One is maybe Bell Canada did not unlock it properly. Two, the person at AT & T did not know what he was doing. The while time he was trying to up sell me an Iphone 5 and I told him why I want a new phone when this one work perfectly. Then he almost seemed like trying really hard to convince me not to set up my phone with AT & T which was rather odd. Why would they try to push the business away.

How can I find out if the phone is indeed unlocked ? Maybe I should try another AT&T store?

Thanks again.

Aug 19, 2014 7:19 AM in response to stedman1

Thank you! I did go through the " back up" and " erase" process as the last step of unlocking following bell Canada's instruction but I never got a message saying the phone was unlocked as they said on the instruction so I don't know for sure. I tried to put in my verizon SIM card it didn't work. I tried to put in a French SIM card which I got when I was traveling there, the phone did accept it but I could not know it does work for sure.

I will probably try to call bell back to ask if they can see it's unlocked. Will the person at Apple store be able to tell if it's unlocked?

Aug 19, 2014 8:55 AM in response to deggie

I See, but it's still unlocked even I restored it with backup , right?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. I have a verizon phone which is also iPhone 4s which I have been having trouble with lately. So I just took the SIM card from that phone and put it in this phone. It says " no service " after it did the search. I went to verizon store and was told that verizon system won 't take any phone unless it's specifically designed for verizon.

Aug 19, 2014 9:10 AM in response to SFSFSF2013

SFSFSF2013 wrote:

I See, but it's still unlocked even I restored it with backup , right?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. I have a verizon phone which is also iPhone 4s which I have been having trouble with lately. So I just took the SIM card from that phone and put it in this phone. It says " no service " after it did the search. I went to verizon store and was told that verizon system won 't take any phone unless it's specifically designed for verizon.

The SIM you took out of your Verizon 4S is actually a Vodafone SIM for international roaming. It will not enable to use Verizon's network. Verizon gave you the correct information. Only phones sold for use on Verizon's network can be used on Verizon's network. Sorry.

Aug 19, 2014 11:45 AM in response to SFSFSF2013

i believe if you get a phone unlocked through a carrier you have to restore it through itunes (you should back it up and sync it before you do the restore) so you can put everything back)

During the itunes restore you should get a message saying

Congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked

if you have done this ignore my post - and of course trying a sim card like suggested below is the quickest way to test if your phone is unlocked

If you buy the iPhone unlocked (not get a carrier to unlock it) you shouldnt need to go through the itunes process - i didnt for the iphone 5s i bought directly from Apple

Mar 31, 2015 2:30 PM in response to stedman1

Sorry for chiming in so late. When I read Apple instruction I noted in the instructions under "Start the Process" is says if your carrier confirms the unlock request has been processed, you can go ahead and insert the new SIM and setup. Further down it says if you don't have the other SIM do a backup, erase and restore. I'm a bit confused as to whether it is necessary to do the backup, erase and restore.

If I do backup. erase and restore via Itunes will I get back my texts that are already on the phone, will I get back my emails that are already on the phone?

Thanks.

Can I use unlocked Bell Canada Iphone 4s in U.S.A?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.