Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect iBook with broken screen to external monitor?

Hi all,

I'd like to know if it's possible to connect my iBook (G3) to an external monitor. The screen doesn't work, but the computer will start up. I've tried to connect the computer to a couple of external monitors, but I'm not getting any picture. The monitors don't say anything about there being no signal -- it's almost like it's waiting for the picture to show up, even though it never does...

From what I've read on other websites, a picture should show up on the other monitor. Now, could this mean a more serious problem with the video card? Or could it perhaps be with the logic board? (I'm not sure if it is the logic board though, since the computer does manage to start up.)

Thank you in advance for any answers. 🙂

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 6:16 PM

1 reply

Aug 19, 2014 1:57 AM in response to jhb391098

Depending on which model and build year iBook G3 you are attempting to attach to external

display, the connection method and adapters will vary. The most early iBook G3 clamshell

does not have an external display port. Later ones go through various technical leaps and

eventually offered connection via more sophisticated video and audio adapters, depending

on what model and build year is in discussion.

•iBook video output cables/adapters and resolutions

•About the PowerBook G4 and iBook Apple Video Adapter

Vintage and obsolete video adapters can be difficult to find and also difficult to match up.

This one, found by searching online, appears to work for some aspects of display function:

•VGA Video Adapter for Apple iBook G3 G4

http://www.teksale.com/laptops/laptopparts/listings/Apple-VGA-Adapter-iBook-G3-G 4-video.htm

With the dualUSB white polycarbonate case model in May 2001, came a different spec

adapter, and the white models evolved over their production span through G3 to G4.

Among specifications for All iBook Tech Specs are those details about video output to displays.

•Apple iBook Specs (All iBook Technical Specs) - everymac.com:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/index-ibook.html

Hopefully these leads may help you locate a suitable adapter, as that may be the problem.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Connect iBook with broken screen to external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.