Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync music from iPhone onto new computer

I had my iPhone synced to my old computer. I connected it to my new computer and it won't allow me to put any of my old music onto iTunes without deleting it all first. How can I keep my old music and put it onto my new iTunes?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 7:44 PM

5 replies

Aug 18, 2014 8:11 PM in response to IsabellaDoo890

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself independently backed up against loss. To use a device with a new computer you transfer the content from the old computer (or its backup) directly to the new computer, not the device to the new computer. Media syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848 - only purchases from iTunes Store

For transferring other items from an i-device to a computer you will have to use third party commercial software. See this document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991

Aug 19, 2014 7:47 AM in response to petermac87

I am sure the app is mentioned in the list in the link I provided (and if you look online there are still versions out there from when it was free). However, that simply transfers media. Many people have their iTunes library structured with playlists, date added, ratings, etc. That information is only contained in the iTunes library file which is not on the iPhone. The best solution is to make sure you transfer the complete library from the old computer to the new one. Furthermore, if one has been syncing lower fidelity copies of music to a phone in order to save space then that's what you'll get back on the computer, not the original quality. If you have been doing that and they are iTunes Store purchases then you are better off re-downloading them.

Jun 5, 2015 8:37 AM in response to IsabellaDoo890

I've updated to iTunes match and since my music is now in the cloud it just syncs with the cloud instead of iTunes. I think it is useful to sync music from iPhone onto computer. Alternatively could also try updating iTunes to the latest version and updating your iPhone to the latest iOS and resync once more. If it doesn't work you could then make a backup of your iPhone, restore factory settings, restore the backup just made and resync your music.

How to sync music from iPhone onto new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.