Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iTunes 11 play movies earlier version did??

Sometime in the last 12 months or so an iTunes update broke playback of alot of my m4v/mpeg4 movies.

Earlier versions of iTunes played them fine played. (iTunes 11.3.1.2 does not)

QuickTime Player v7.7.5 plays the movies fine.

VLC v2.1.5 plays the movies fine.

Just iTunes will not play the movie, any longer, on my Windows 7 PC.

This also presents a problem for playing the movies via Apple TV - these movies used to be watchable on my lounge TV... no longer; I suspect iTunes isn't opening the movie to pass it to the appleTV (because I first became aware of this issue when I couldn't have a movie night on appleTV shortly after an iTunes update).

This seems to be a fault in iTunes initial opening of movie files - as I say QuickTime Player happily/easily plays the movies when they are manually opened with it.

Please fix, so the Apple ecosystem I've sold the family on is functional!!!!

AppleTV 2, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 2:43 AM

1 reply

Aug 19, 2014 2:59 AM in response to TheBirnies

Oh, and I've reviewed these two articles and they're not applicable...

Troubleshooting iTunes for Windows Vista or Windows 7 video playback performance issues

iTunes: Troubleshooting issues with third-party iTunes plug-ins

Whilst it's possible there's some obscure setting somewhere, I _really_ doubt it.

My Apple history dates back to a, then current, Mac+ and I currently do embedded [Android] fw development... so this is more of a bug report than flailing user.

Why won't iTunes 11 play movies earlier version did??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.