Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Partition Options are Grayed Out

Heya!

I have a iMac from 2013 with a 1TB fusion drive (Mac OSX Mavericks). A couple of months ago, I created a 125GB partition for Windows 7 using Bootcamp but apart from that, I've always kept my drive intact. Now, however, I want to partition my drive into three instead of two to make room for a Linux Mint installation. Unfortunately however, I'm not making any progress apart beyond opening Disk Utility as all options in the partition screen are grayed out. Googling, I found no other solutions than to free up space but since I've got almost 500GB free I'm guessing that doesn't work for me (just deleted 400GB). I've included a picture of the situation. Does anybody know what to do now?

Kind regards,

Matthijs Rog

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), One Bootcamp Partition

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 4:32 AM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2014 6:26 AM in response to Hikisaku

Unfortunately, with a Fusion Drive, you're only allowed to create 1 partition which resides outside of the Logical Volume Group. In your case, you have a Bootcamp partition. That's all you can create. See this Apple KB article for information regarding Fusion Drives.

Can I add a partition to the hard disk with Fusion Drive?

Using Disk Utility, you can add one partition to the hard disk on Fusion Drive. Once you add the partition, the "plus" symbol in Disk Utility to add additional partitions will be grayed out. You cannot partition the Flash storage.

If I create a hard disk partition is it part of Fusion Drive?

The additional partition is not part of Fusion Drive. The new partition is a separate volume that is physically located on the hard disk drive.

Disk Utility Partition Options are Grayed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.