Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Pro 2013 late version USB 3.0 hub issue during boot

Hi all, I just purchased a new Mac Pro 8 core with 32GB of ram and 1 TB drive. When I connect a USB powered 3.0 hub and turn on my Mac Pro, it gets hung on while booting. (Gray screen before the Apple logo appears on boot). If I pull the USB 3.0 hub out, the Mac Pro proceeds to boot normally. Once I am fully booted on my Mac Pro and I plug the USB 3.0 hub back in, everything seems to work fine. I have an enclosure that works off of lightening connector and the enclosure has a USB 3.0 hub onboard. I plug the USB 3.0 hub in that device and every thing seems to boot up fine on the Mac Pro. Any idea why when I plug in the USB 3.0 directly why the Mac Pro ha issues booting up?

Thanks in Advance.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 7:03 AM

9 replies

Aug 19, 2014 9:02 AM in response to adam201

The Driver for the Hub does not get loaded until late in the Boot-up process.

It is common not to be able to use devices on a Hub during boot-up, as they will not be ready (and therefore not available) until the Login screen appears.

For devices you need during boot-up, attach directly to a built-in USB port on the chassis, not on a display or any other Hub.

-------

If your issue is only that the device interferes with Booting in general, ask the guys at OWC. They select their stocked items for trouble-free, and train their support people to resolve remaining problems quickly. If there is a problem, they will help you get is fixed quickly -- often providing an advanced exchange if that seems appropriate.

Aug 22, 2014 5:26 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks everyone. I did contact OWC. I also went and bought another 3.0 hub from the Apple Store and same thing. It appears if I have a 3.0 hub directly plugged in the Mac Pro, it will stop the Mac Pro from booting up. I have a thunderbolt device which houses PCI cards and I inserted a 3.0 USB PCI card in it and plugged my 3.0 hub in there, then connected the thunderbolt connector in the MacPro. Everything booted fine. So it has to do with my hub. Not sure what the fix is.

Aug 27, 2014 10:51 AM in response to adam201

I have a Vantec 10 port USB 3.0 hub, I currently have 5 USB 2.0 and 5 USB 3.0 in use and the Mac Pro ( 2013 ) boots up fine and works wonderfully (USB2 works at 480Mbps and USB3 works at 5Gbps, like it should with no problems). Here is a link to the product: http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/630

It uses a new VIA controller chipset and has a fully certified power block. I have no complains about this hub, might be worth while to check it out!

cheers...

New Mac Pro 2013 late version USB 3.0 hub issue during boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.