Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VHS tapes recorded in SECAM to DVD (with colour)

Hi We have a collection of SECAM VHS cassettes that I would like to put on disc - we have a Panasonic VHS-DVD machine which is great so long as you are looking at NTSC or PAL but useless for SECAM. Using the standard copy routine just gives B&W output: better than nothing but not good enough. Looking at the manual reckon I can output the VHS via a Scart socket to a Video and Audio grabber which will feed the signal into the Mac via a USB 2.0 socket. (The Scart adapter has the three phono plugs (red white and yellow) which will plug into the "Grabber" (by a firm called LINDY - the system won't allow me to paste their URL but if you put www in front of lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/usb-converters you should find it - it is Part No. 42886). If that works and I am not sure it will, the next issue is converting the file from SECAM to PAL - there are black boxes that will do it and maybe that is the (only) answer. So my questions are (a) will an output from a Scart socket via a USB be readable and what software might I need? (b) Is there a software solution to the format conversion SECAM-PAL or must I go the hardware route? Thanks M

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 6:40 AM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2014 7:19 AM in response to mouson

Obviously this is a passionately interesting subject or I've put it in the wrong section 😟

I have done further research and it seems that something from EasyCap (D60) might manage the connection to the USB port.

It seems that the software can only manage NTSC and PAL - as usual the French are out on a limb. (No offence meant).

I am still looking and meanwhile hoping that someone might have some experience in converting VHS-SECAM to PAL Thanks

Aug 20, 2014 8:19 AM in response to mouson

The SCART adaptor will feed stereo audio and composite video (the yellow plug). If the player isn't SECAM capable then it can't produce the colour sub-carrier and pass it on into the composite output - SECAM's method of encoding the colour information is completely different from PAL and NTCS and so required different circuitry which is not included in players for USA or UK use. No amount of fiddling post-converter will do any good because the colour information isn't there in the first place. The only option is a player designed to handle SECAM, and even then I don't know what sort of output it will produce - presumably SECAM so only a converter specifically designed to be able to handle this will be any good. If it produces a RGB output it might be easier to find a converter, but it's most unlikely - I've never come across a VHS machine with RGB output (there is no point since the incoming signal and the tape itself are composite so RGB offers no quality improvement in the way it does with DVD). Possibly a combined DVD/VHS one would do this, but again it would pretty well have to be French.

Technical note: PAL and NTSC encode both the red and blue into a signal at a frequency which is within the frequency range of the luminance signal (the method of getting two colours into one signal is technically known as 'phase modulation in quadrature' - green is produced by subtracting the sum of red and blue from the luminance) - hence the 'cross colour' problems with for example striped ties. SECAM alternates the red and blue with alternate lines, thus avoiding some of the artefacts but reducing the vertical resolution of the colour part of the signal by half (it's already very low because of the need to get it into the sub-carrier: all the fine detail is in the luminance). So it's not just a question of adjusting the frequency reception of the sub-carrier for NTSC and PAL; even once the sub-carrier is read there is a different method of extracting the colour required.

Aug 20, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for a very full answer. I will see what I can find in France. I remember when colour TVs first started appearing we had a demo at school in our Physics class; they way they dealt with some phase issue was to insert a small block of glass (or glass-like material) in the circuitry. We have come a very long way since Logie Baird's first trials...

Aug 20, 2014 10:15 AM in response to mouson

The block of glass was a delay mechanism: because the colour information was severely filtered it got delayed in the process (this is inherent in analogue filters) and so the colour appeared slightly to the right of the luminance, resulting (for example) in car rear lights appearing actually outside the correct position. The glass block was used to delay the luminance so that it brought it into line with the colour (the signal was actually converted to audio, so that the passage through the block delayed it, then back to electrical). It sounds impossibly clunky but did actually work if correctly set up (which it often wasn't).

VHS tapes recorded in SECAM to DVD (with colour)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.