Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail won't delete drafts

Frustrated beyond belief.

I now have nine mails in my Drafts folder that simply will not delete.

They are like Zombies, I kill them, and they come back a little while later.

Here is what I have tried, and this has been going on for over a month now:

1. I have tried to delete them in different ways
    1. Highlight them and press the Delete key
    2. Highlight them and click on the Delete box
    3. Highlight them and drag them to the Trash in the dock
    4. Highlight them and drag them to another folder like Junk or Trash, wait a minute and empty that folder.
  2. Yes, I have searched for other people with this issue, and about the only thing I can discover is that rebuilding the mailbox helps some people. So I have:
    1. Rebuilt the Drafts mailbox before I deleted the emails
    2. Rebuilt the Drafts mailbox after I deleted the emails
    3. Rebuilt the Inbox for this account before I deleted the emails
    4. Rebuilt the Inbox for this account after I deleted the emails
  3. I went into the Drafts box, opened the undeletable email, changed the TO name to myself, and resent the email. I received it from myself, but the draft stays.

I am one of the few people who likes MacMail, and I really don't want to dump it for AirMail or Thunderbird etc... but this is driving me crazy!

This particular inbox has about 22K messages. Using Mail 7.3 (1878.6) and OS 10.9.4. If it matters, I am on a MacBook Air with plenty of room on the hard drive.

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 2:03 PM

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

Envelope Index

ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. ClickOK. Typically, the process takes a few minutes, but it may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. In that case, you may be able to speed things up by temporarily adding your home folder to the Privacy list in the Spotlight preference pane. Remove it when Mail has finished importing.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2014 2:03 PM in response to MikeMargolis

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

Envelope Index

ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. ClickOK. Typically, the process takes a few minutes, but it may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. In that case, you may be able to speed things up by temporarily adding your home folder to the Privacy list in the Spotlight preference pane. Remove it when Mail has finished importing.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Jun 6, 2017 8:04 AM in response to MikeMargolis

I wanted to pass this along. The only way I could delete the draft email was to (1) delete the email and (2) "Force" Quit Mail. If I only "Quit" Mail, the draft email would always come back when I re-opened the App. There has to be a "bug" in the program. BTW, in the current version of Mail, there is no box for storing messages on the server.

May 18, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

I liked your response to this question, and as I had tried the other suggestions and not succeeded, I tried yours. This too did not succeed.

In my case, the draft email is a response of mine to a scam/spam email relating to WhatsApp. My response did get sent, and the person responded to say that it was a scam or spam and to not open it, which I hadn't. Now I have this draft for weeks. Is it an infection on my system?

Thanks

Alan

Mar 20, 2016 9:56 AM in response to MikeMargolis

Hey this worked for me. I got into this problem by trying to send too big of a music file I dragged music file into email and tried sending it the loading circle wouldnt go away .I tried deleteing draft but the loading cicle would come back.I managed to force quit by going on tool bar and clicking anything that was not mail. Then hit the force quit .

Noel

Mac Mail won't delete drafts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.