Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing List of Artists then Albums

Some time ago, I was able to obtain a nice list from iTunes of artists, followed by their albums. I am using iTunes 11 under OS 10.6.8, and I suspect this was an earlier version of iTunes. The format was:

Artist Name

Album 1

Album 2

Album 3

Next Artist Name

Album 1

Album 2

No songs. No time length. Nothing else.

This gave me a nice compact listing.

When I go to File/Print and select "Album List", then "List of Albums", I get way more information than I need, plus each artist is repeated over and over again, with lots of room between each line. The result is far too large an output.

I suspect I exported something before, perhaps to Word or Excel. But the Export option appears to have been removed from iTunes 11.

Anyone have any ideas how to get what I am looking for?

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), G5 1.8 GHz and iBook 10.4 - both 10.4.11

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 9:49 AM

4 replies

Aug 19, 2014 2:31 PM in response to ed2345

Agreed. There was some way I could export the information and then open it up on another program, because I have such a list that is out of date.

I have discovered that I can export my Music library.

So far, I have exported as a .xml, but I could not do anything with that output. I then exported as a unicode text. I was able to bring that into Excel. But now I have an issue that every song is listed. So somehow, I have to get just the album exported, or find a way to delete the duplicate listings of the same album in Excel (or some other program).

Still working.

If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know.

Aug 19, 2014 5:55 PM in response to The Hammer610

As I see it you have a few possible options…

• See if dougscripts can help http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=makeatextlist (there probably are other scripts on there that may help - search for 'export' on the site - some others are mentioned at Parsing iTunes XML).
  • Parse the .xml into the fields you desire (probably via a Python script or similar). I suspect there will be something around if you are willing to search & try running them. This should give the best output but may take some work.
  • Parse the output of a directory listing (assuming iTunes manages the location of the media), the next commands will create a list based on the folder structure of the iTunes Library - it does not list compilations correctly, you will need to handle them separately. This may not be what you want, especially if you want a subset of the library.

cd  ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/Music
find . -type d -maxdepth 1 -exec find {} -type d -mindepth 1 \; | sed -e 's|./||' -e 's|/|    |'

NOTE: You may need to provide a different path to the music folder, mine has been migrated over many years & may not be the same as yours (drag & drop to get the Terminal to auto fill correcting any spaces in the path).

It outputs like …

A Tribe Called Quest The Anthology

Add N to (X) Add Insult to Injury

Add N to (X) Avant Hard

In short it finds folders one level deep, then inside those find the next folder names and parse out the leading './' and convert the next slash to 4 spaces.

You may want to change the spaces to commas so you can import to a spreadsheet, however that will need careful handling when Albums or Artists contain commas.

This next one is cleaner, again run it from inside the music folder

cd  ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/Music
ls */ | sed -e  '/^$/d' -e 's/\(.*[^/\:]\)$/     \1/'   -e 's|\/\:||'

It looks more like your original aim

Orbital

Blue Album

In Sides

Orbital II

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Peel Sessions 1979-1983

Hope that's some food for thought.

Printing List of Artists then Albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.