Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6.2: prevent it from copying videos into project

I'm using Keynote 6.2 under 10.9.4.

I have a keynote 5 presentation where I carefully inserted videos into the presentation, but did not embed the videos into the project. All the videos used are in a separate "videos" folder.

When I opened the project in Keynote 6.2 and converted it, suddenly all videos (5+ GB) of them are now stored inside the Keynote project file. My preferences (Keynote / Preferences / General/ Saving : Copy audio and movies into document : OFF )

I need to have multiple keynote presentations that all reference the video files stored in a common location. This worked fine in Keynote 5. Is there a way to do it keynote 6?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 12:43 PM

4 replies

Aug 20, 2014 8:01 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks, Gary, while this may be true for a New keynote presentation, this doesn't seem to be the case for an old Keynote 5 presentation that was converted to Keynote 6. My Keynote 5 presentation had a bunch of mp4 and m4v files, all of which had h.264 encoding, yet they were all copied into the Keynote 6 project when I upgraded.

It looks like the only solution is to manually replace all the video files in this project. Sigh.

Aug 21, 2014 1:07 AM in response to xmddmx

Apologies, for some reason I did not provide the full details needed.

Keynote 6 does not open and convert version 5 files correctly, if at all. Best advice is to open version 5 files in Keynote 5 and use version 6 for new presentations. If you must use version 6, you should copy and paste the objects over, tedious but the only workaround until Apple solve this problem.

Keynote 6.2: prevent it from copying videos into project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.