Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KeyNote 6.2 won't show closed captioning / subtitles

I have a Keynote 5 presentation which includes a number of video files, which have all been Closed-Captioned either by hand or by importing from a DVD with subtitles. In Keynote 5, this works great.

In Keynote 6, none of the subtitle tracks will display. I've tried .MOV files as well as .M4V files.

As an educator, this is something of a disaster from an ADA-compliance perspective.

Anyone have luck getting KeyNote 6 to show subtitles?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 1:52 PM

After more testing, I've discovered something that may work.

1. Make a copy of the original video file (a .M4V file that has a Subtitle Track)
  2. Open the .M4V file in QuickTime Player (version 10.3 - don't try using QuickTime Player 7)
  3. In QuickTime Player, from the View menu, choose "Subtitles: English" (or whatever language you have)
  4. Play the movie, verify that the subtitles are visible
  5. Save the movie file.
  6. Go back to Keynote, and select your original video file, click the Format/Movie inspector and choose "Replace" - then select the new filename.

After doing these steps, I am seeing the Subtitles show up when played through Keynote 6.2.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2014 1:52 PM in response to xmddmx

After more testing, I've discovered something that may work.

1. Make a copy of the original video file (a .M4V file that has a Subtitle Track)
  2. Open the .M4V file in QuickTime Player (version 10.3 - don't try using QuickTime Player 7)
  3. In QuickTime Player, from the View menu, choose "Subtitles: English" (or whatever language you have)
  4. Play the movie, verify that the subtitles are visible
  5. Save the movie file.
  6. Go back to Keynote, and select your original video file, click the Format/Movie inspector and choose "Replace" - then select the new filename.

After doing these steps, I am seeing the Subtitles show up when played through Keynote 6.2.

Aug 19, 2014 4:24 PM in response to xmddmx

More info:

It seems that Keynote 6 will only play subtitles in M4V files.

If you have a MOV file with a Text track, then it won't work. There is a workaround, if you have access to the original captioning files and can re-export as an SRT track:

1. Get the app Subler from http://code.google.com/p/subler/
  2. Open your MOV file in Subler and select the default Audio and Video tracks.
  3. Click the + button in Subler, and add your .SRT captioning track.
  4. Save the file as Vidoe-MPEG4 format (which is .m4v )
  5. Open your new m4v file in QuickTime Player X
  6. Enable Subtitles from the View/Subtitles menu
  7. Save the M4V file
  8. Use this new m4v file in Keynote 6, and now you should have high quality subtitles.

Aug 20, 2014 9:24 PM in response to xmddmx

And, for the record, I'm sure nobody cares, but updating my Keynote 5 presentations for Keynote 6 took me about 17 hours, for a single presentation that I use for a class I'm teaching, in which I often have hearing-imparied students, so closed-captioning is critical.

17 hours includes the time to fix all the Closed-Captioned media the Keynote 6 no longer supports, as well as ditching the obsolete QuickTime "MOV" format (what idiot company invented that ***** anyway???) and updating to M4V.

When I'm all done, the 5.2GB presentation drops back to 60MB (with all videos properly externally stored, just like I had it in Keynote 5).

Sigh.

KeyNote 6.2 won't show closed captioning / subtitles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.