Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Senior needs help preparing to give old 2007 MacBook to a friend

I have kept my old MacBook (Apr. 2007) as an emergency backup. It is running 10.7.5, the latest available for this model. I have a bff whom I am trying to help out (we are both seniors). I am giving her my iPhone 5 when the 6 comes out and I want to give her this old MacBook so she has a convenient way to backup her iPhone. I hope it will also help her overall with technology because she does not have a laptop, just a dated desktop PC.

I am not worried that she will use any of my personal info nefariously but I guess it would be easiest for her if I wipe the MacBook and give her just the basic OS. I still have the original CDs that came with the MacBook but I can't find anything that says what version of OS X came with the MacBook. I think I will need to repurchase for the MacBook any updates that I made to the OS because the ones I bought are tied to my Apple ID, is that right? Does anyone know how much that will cost or how I can figure that out? And I assume I would need to do the wipe and reinstall with her so she can create her own Apple ID and I could just pay for the updates? If there is anyone willing to help me figure this out, I would be most grateful. I want to be ready to roll when the iPhone 6 launches.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Apple TV2, iPads, iPhone 5, iMac

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 4:39 PM

The fact that you have the discs makes this all really easy, actually!

That computer came with either OS X Tiger (10.4) or OS X Leopard (10.5) if it's from 2007.

The original CDs may have that written on them. Otherwise, click on the Apple icon in the upper right corner & choose About This Mac. A little window will come up; click More Info... and the System Information window will come up.

You should see something like "MacBook 13-inch, Mid-2007."

Let me know what you see there and then we'll work on the rest of the steps.

🙂

~Lyssa

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2014 4:39 PM in response to Jean Jones2

The fact that you have the discs makes this all really easy, actually!

That computer came with either OS X Tiger (10.4) or OS X Leopard (10.5) if it's from 2007.

The original CDs may have that written on them. Otherwise, click on the Apple icon in the upper right corner & choose About This Mac. A little window will come up; click More Info... and the System Information window will come up.

You should see something like "MacBook 13-inch, Mid-2007."

Let me know what you see there and then we'll work on the rest of the steps.

🙂

~Lyssa

Aug 19, 2014 5:12 PM in response to Jean Jones2

Ok, so it most likely came with OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

In order for it to have Lion, you must have installed Snow Leopard at some point - Snow Leopard is a required upgrade in order to get Lion or a newer OS installed.

Do you have the Snow Leopard disc also? If not, you will need to buy a replacement disc before you pass the computer on to your friend.

You'll want to start with this document about reinstalling OS X using the discs that came with the computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1561. We need to figure out how many discs your computer came with.

My thought here for getting the computer ready for your friend is this:

1) Erase the computer & install OS X 10.4 (Tiger) along with the bundled software

2) Upgrade to Snow Leopard

3) Work with your friend and get an Apple ID created for her & use that ID to purchase a download code for Lion.

~Lyssa

Aug 19, 2014 5:28 PM in response to Lyssa

I guess I will need to repurchase the Snow Leopard upgrade because I can't find a CD. Could I have just downloaded Snow Leopard? Or could I have received a code of some kind to upgrade when I bought the MacBook (if Snow Leopard was coming out at about that time??) Anyway, it appears I need to get from 10.4 to 10.7. How much will those upgrades be? The MacBook is working just fine but I don't want to invest too much money in a laptop that has as much gray hair as I do! I have 2 install disks for the MacBook plus the firmware restoration disk I burned myself. That's it. I do have my MacBook Pro 10.6.3 disks but I assume it is illegal to use those.

Aug 19, 2014 5:36 PM in response to Jean Jones2

Those MacBook Pro discs will only work on that particular computer so they're no help here. Snow Leopard is only available as a DVD. You can buy it here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You will have to buy a redemption code for Lion also - that's another $20 and available here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

I would have your friend buy the code for Lion, just to make sure it's associated with her account.

~Lyssa

Aug 19, 2014 5:48 PM in response to Lyssa

Lyssa, you are a saint. Let me recap to make sure I am understanding. I need to follow the instructions to wipe my MacBook and use the original CDs to reinstall 10.4 and accompanying basic apps. I buy the Snow Leopard DVD (looks like $20) and install it myself. Then I am ready to have my bff create her Apple ID and then we buy the code ($20) to get 10.7 Lion. Then we can check for any other updates (like iTunes) and she should be ready to backup the iPhone 5 when I give it to her in a few weeks. Is that right? Also, at that point I should probably de-authorize the MacBook from my iTunes account so I will be ready to buy a new laptop at some point (is it a maximum of 5 devices that can share music, etc. from one Apple ID? I have a couple of iPads, an iPhone and my MacBook Pro using my account already.) Thanks again for all the time you have taken to help me. My bff is just a wonderful person and she is very excited about all of this.

Aug 19, 2014 6:18 PM in response to Jean Jones2

Jean -

I think you've got it 🙂

Deauthorize iTunes before you do anything else. It is a maximum of 5 computers that can share iTunes authorizations. Technically, it is also 5 devices that can share content, but iPads, iPhones & iPods don't handle authorization the same way. You'll have to do a mass deauthorization if you have more than 5 computers trying to play iTunes music but you're OK if it's just iDevices + 1 computer.

Then, yes, you use those original CDs to install 10.4 and the basic apps (that's things like iPhoto). No need to do updates after that install is complete. You'll be asked to create an account - either create one for her, or you can create one for you to use & create a second administrator account later on & delete the one you created. You don't want to mess around with changing names as it can get complicated!

With the Snow Leopard disc, all you need to do is insert it while you have the computer running & then double-click on the "Install Mac OS X" icon that should pop up automatically. From there, it'll upgrade to 10.6.

At that point, you run Software Update until all updates have been downloaded. The base install of 10.6 doesn't include the Mac App Store, which is necessary for you to download Lion. Running Software Update will get that installed for you.

Once that's all done, you'll be able to use the code she'll be emailed for Lion in the Mac App Store to get a copy downloaded. Then it's one more installation to do and she's all set!

Hopefully that all makes sense...if you find yourself getting stuck anywhere along the way, let me know. 🙂

~Lyssa

Aug 29, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Lyssa

Lyssa,

Just wanted to thank you again. Today I finally finished all of the installing (wow---took so many hours!) so my friend is enjoying uploading music to my old MacBook. I am glad I got this going ahead of time because it took 3 days for Apple to email the link to download Lion. We should now be all ready to back up to iTunes once I give her my iPhone 5 after iPhone 6 launch. (I assume that I will just backup my iPhone 5 to my computer or iCloud then do a "restore as new" and then we will have to do iOS updates to the iPhone 5 on her iTunes account after we port over her phone number.) You were most helpful, Lyssa, and my friend and I are both so grateful!

Sep 1, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Jean Jones2

Hi Jean -

I haven't been on the boards for a few days, and seeing this has made me very happy indeed 🙂

It's definitely a big project to reinstall everything - I hope you had other things to do in the meantime so you weren't just staring at the screen 😉

For your iPhone, I personally would back up to the computer, rather than iCloud, but that's your choice. Then, follow the steps here to make sure it's no longer associated with your Apple ID.

After that, you'll be all good to go!

I hope your friend gets many years of enjoyment out of that ol' MacBook - mine's still chugging along so I'm sure yours will do the same 🙂

~Lyssa

Sep 1, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Lyssa

Thanks for the recommendation regarding backing up to my computer rather than iCloud and for the link. I actually back up to both iCloud and iTunes to be safe but I will use the iTunes backup this time for backing up and use that backup for setting up my new iPhone.

Thanks again, Lyssa. Don't know what I would have done without you!

Sep 2, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Jean Jones2

I hang out in the iPhone forums too, and I've seen several posts similar to "I've been restoring from iCloud for X number of hours and it's not done...." iTunes will be a faster restore and I think you can more easily see its progress also. They're essentially the same in the end, but I'm old school and would rather be "wired in." 😉

All the best to you!

~Lyssa

Senior needs help preparing to give old 2007 MacBook to a friend

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.