Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove search.strtpoint.com. It seems a new version of installmac

Hi,

Two days ago, I accidentally downloaded and installed Genieo. It seems that I mistook it for Firefox. Then, I did some research on how to remove it from my MacBook Pro. I found a few websites, including Apple Support Communities, on how to remove 'installmac.' My browser is hijacked by search.strtpoint.com, but since this site mentions 'installmac' on the right-hand side (please see the screenshot below), they seem to be the same. I followed all the directions that I found: used 'uninstall Genieo,' changed the setting of my homepage, deleted all the files that are seemingly related to Genieo or installmac. But every time I boot my Macbook, the first page on the browser, whether Chrome or Safari, is always search.strtpoint.com with 'installmac' mentioned on the side (Again, the screenshot below). How can I remove it? This really bugs me. I also don't feel safe at all about internet security every time this shows up on my screen. Please help.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 12:27 AM

Sorry you didn't find the correct set of instructions. The uninstall Genieo app does not remove all it's components, so it's not to be trusted.

TheSafeMac's Adware Removal Tool is written by the forum's security guru and an colleague of mine. It will safely and efficiently remove most currently known adware that you may have accidentally installed. Be sure to reset your home page and search engine on each browser after removal, if necessary to get you back where this all started.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2014 12:27 AM in response to midtownguru

Sorry you didn't find the correct set of instructions. The uninstall Genieo app does not remove all it's components, so it's not to be trusted.

TheSafeMac's Adware Removal Tool is written by the forum's security guru and an colleague of mine. It will safely and efficiently remove most currently known adware that you may have accidentally installed. Be sure to reset your home page and search engine on each browser after removal, if necessary to get you back where this all started.

Aug 22, 2014 6:35 PM in response to MadMacs0

Thanks MadMacs0.

I tried Adware Removal tool. That took care of Safari. But the problem persists in Chrome. Even after I reset home page and search engine, I still see the same Genieo at the beginning. Just once at the beginning. Curiously, when I open a new tab or new window without closing the Chrome application itself, Genieo never appears. Any idea?

Aug 22, 2014 7:08 PM in response to midtownguru

I've asked thomas_r. to drop by, but it's late where he is, so it will probably be a few hours before he is able to join us. I know he's working on a new approach to identify Firefox and Chrome extension names, and I can only guess that Genieo/Omnibar has morphed itself again with regard to your situation.

In the meanwhile, select "Preferences..." from the Chrome menu or type <Command>-<Comma>. In the upper left corner of the new "Chrome Settings" tab or window that opens click on "Extensions". List any that you don't recall having installed.

Feb 14, 2015 5:49 PM in response to midtownguru

For anyone searching for the answer to this question, this IS the solution. I also used all the removal tools as advertised, but still had a problem with Chrome, and only when I first opened it. There is a setting in the Chrome browser called "On Startup." If you are seeing this problem, the radio button with the description "Open a specific page or set of pages" will be highlighted. If you click the link "Set pages," you will see the page that has been frustrating you up to this point. Click the "X" to the right of page to remove it and you will free from this frustration. From this point, set this however you want.

How to remove search.strtpoint.com. It seems a new version of installmac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.