Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you recover deleted text messages in iOS 6?

My mom has an iPhone 4S, and it is still running iOS 6 (she was afraid to upgrade when it came out, and she doesn't really know how to use iTunes so she needs me to do it for her but we haven't had the chance to sit down and back up her phone and update it yet). A few days ago, she accidentally cleared all the messages in her conversation with my brother. She likes to keep old messages either for reference, or just to reread for fun. She's really upset that they were deleted.

Unfortunately, my mom has never backed up her phone, or if she did it was a long time ago. We have read that the texts are still in the phone somewhere, we just need some kind of software to get it out. I have seen some programs online claiming to do that, but I am worried they won't work or will steal information. Does anyone on here know the best way to retrieve deleted text messages in iOS 6?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 7:59 PM

3 replies

Jan 8, 2015 12:47 AM in response to hurricaneallegea

I finally got up with a solution.

All you need is the sms.db(database file) file from your last backup.

You can extract this file from your backup by using iBackupbot for itunes. Get this via:

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

Once you get this file you extract the messages in form of original database file(.db). The screenshots on the website will help you to know how to extract the files.

Okay so now when you've got the sms.db file you simply need to SSH into your phone to /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS were you'll already see an sms.db file.

Replace the old sms.db file that you've extracted from the backup by the one that already exist in.

Don't forget to keep an extra copy of the new sms.db file if in case you go wrong somewhere.

It worked for me and I hope it works for you too. 🙂🙂

Thanks Berch1990, you were indirectly helpful. 🙂🙂

How do you recover deleted text messages in iOS 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.