Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get older backups off my Time Machine?

Hi! I'm trying to get older backups off my Time Machine hard drive but when using the Migration Assistant I only have the option to transfer the "latest backup" to my new iMac. And when I try to drag and drop the iMovie library (which is the only set of files I really want) iMovie on my iMac states I cannot open the library for either permission reasons (the first time I tried it) or because the file does not exist.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

-CC

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 11:04 PM

1 reply

Aug 22, 2014 11:24 AM in response to CCinAK

Hi CCinAK,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If you are only looking to get certain data off of your Time Machine backups you would not want to use Migration Assistant. You would instead enter the Time Machine menu and select the file(s) you would like to recover. Please use the following article for the steps needed and as a resource.

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

Restoring specific files or folders

Choose Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu. The restore interface appears. You can literally see your windows as they appeared "back in time."

User uploaded file

You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time. The timeline shows the times of all backups on your backup drive. If you don’t know exactly when you deleted or changed a file, you can use the back arrow to let Time Machine automatically travel through time to show you when that folder last changed.

Note: Dates in pink indicate the data resides on your Time Machine backup device. Dates in white indicate the data resides on your Mac. In OS X Lion v10.7 and later, portable Macs include local snapshots.

You can also perform a Spotlight search from the Finder. Simply enter a search term in the Spotlight search field, and use the back arrow to have Time Machine search through your backups to find what you are looking for.

Before you restore a file, you can also use Quick Look to preview a file to make sure its the one you want. Highlight the file and press the Space Bar to bring up a quick look.

To restore, select the file/folder and click the "Restore" button. The file will automatically be copied to the desktop or appropriate folder. If the file you are restoring has another file in the same location with the same name, you will be prompted to choose which file to keep or keep both.

Have a great day,

Joe

How do I get older backups off my Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.