Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install iTunes: Access denied

I cannot get iTunes to install on my Windows 7 PC. I have uninstalled iTunes and QuickTime completely, as well as all other Apple software (in suggested order) and downloaded the newest versions. On installation, I receive an "access denied" error for both. I am on an administrator account, run as administrator, deleted my temp folder, everything. I cannot get either to install. Any suggestions? Very frustrating.

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 8:38 PM

5 replies

Aug 22, 2014 11:42 AM in response to phitzdisco

Hi phitzdisco,

It sounds like you have been on the right track in troubleshooting this issue. If you are still having issues installing iTunes on your Windows machine, you may find the information and troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful (apologies if you have already seen them):

Issues installing iTunes or QuickTime for Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1926

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Regards,

- Brenden

Aug 22, 2014 1:32 PM in response to brenden dv

Actually, I got it to install myself. This may even be helpful for other users with the same problem.

What I had to eventually do, was to set up another administrator profile on my Windows 7 operating system. With the clean administrator profile, iTunes installed perfectly. When I switched over to the administrator account that I was having problems with, iTunes set itself up on that profile on its own. Everything is now running smoothly. I don't know if I delete the new administrator profile if it will cause problems or not, but I'm not going to try right now.

Sep 1, 2014 6:48 PM in response to phitzdisco

What worked for me was on another post: When trying to update iTunes I receive a "Object already exists"

For "Key not valid for use in specified state" errors try moving the folder RSA from C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA to say C:\RSA (just in case there should be a need to restore it) then try installing again. This folder appears to act as a cache and should be rebuilt automatically as required.

I had tried removing all the ITunes programs, deleting temp folder, etc., and nothing worked until I moved the RSA folder per the instructions above. I hope this helps someone else because I have spent endless hours trying to get the latest version of ITunes to install and it was very frustrating.

Cannot install iTunes: Access denied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.