Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Backup

iPAD backup to PC (Win 7) has stopped working via iTunes & USB. I get an error message "iTunes was unable to load data class information from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later", I also see under Summary - Backups "Your iPAD has never been backed up to this computer". It has ben backed up many times and I can see the last back up.

What am I doing wrong. I cannot find out which setting to change to re-enable backups.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 3:06 AM

12 replies

Aug 20, 2014 11:53 PM in response to PJRS

Many thanks, I followed the instructions but Sync still not working I am afraid.

Having Reset Sync History button, and then reconnected iPad, and Reset Sync History button again Sync remains greyed out and I still get the error message: "iTunes was unable to load data class information from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later".

Also when I check the Contact and Calendars buttons in advanced I do not get an "Apply" option

I have tried all the other steps but without success. I am baffled.

Aug 21, 2014 8:00 AM in response to tjw235

I have exactly the same problems and perhaps significantly they started at the same day August 20.

The problem occurs with my iPhone and Ipad but not with my iPod Classic.

If I go to Summary page it says I have never backed up to the computer and any attempt at a manual backup by clicking on the button fails. Clicking on Preferences/devices in Edit, shows no backups and a search for backups using Explorer finds nothing.

I have gone through all the uninstall and reinstall processes with no joy. I am now completely stumped. Is this some sort of malware attack?

Aug 23, 2014 9:42 AM in response to medimarkjoel

I have found a solution.

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 gives very detailed instructions.

The section on removing folders seems to be critical. I found that C:\Program files(x86)\Bonjour\ was very difficult to delete, This is because it contains a file mdnsNSP.dll which is used by a wide variety of processes and it is necessary to terminate the appropriate processes in Task Manager.

I found that after reinstalling iTunes, it was necessary to reinstall it when advised to do so, in order to install missing components and reinstall device drivers.

However it did come right in the end.

Good luck

Aug 26, 2014 12:37 AM in response to tjw235

I am not sure if the problem is with the iPad, iTunes or PC, iTunes I suspect as the problem only arose after the last upgrade to iTunes. As soon as I connect the iPad to the PC using USB, the PC almost freezes.

i am loath to reset my iPad Except as a last resort.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes again, still with the same result.

iPad Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.