Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open a pw protected zip file?

This question appears to be different from similar questions asked because I HAVE the password. I really don't want to download extra safe-cracker's-anonymous software to hack into it. The file just never gives me the option of entering it. I have the zip file, I double-click on it, it gives me an error message. I right-click on it but no options there either. How do I open it such that it gives me a chance to unlock it?

Appreciate the help. (and yeah, I have no idea if I'm in the right community - sorry about that if I'm in the wrong place)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 6:43 AM

5 replies

Aug 20, 2014 3:36 PM in response to mlauren22

Found some info that says this error can be bypassed by using Terminal to unzip the archive.

Open Terminal and type:

unzip

Enter a space and then drag and drop the archive you want to unzip into the Terminal window. This will complete the path to the file. Press Enter. The unzip command will ask for the archive password. It will then expand the file and save the contents.

Aug 21, 2014 3:16 AM in response to mlauren22

The zip file format is not a nice, standardized format. You could have a weird zip file that is technically not bad, but isn't supported by the built-in software on Mac OS X. In some cases, when zip files won't open, I've had success opening them with The Unarchiver, which is available both in the App Store and outside it:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-unarchiver/id425424353?mt=12

http://unarchiver.c3.cx

(I don't know if there's a difference in functionality between the two... there could be, but if there is, I am not aware of it.)

It's also possible the zip file is corrupted, and won't be openable by anything.

How do I open a pw protected zip file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.