Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not loading pages, other browsers doing fine

Hi,

I have an issue many seem to have: Safari 7.0.5 (and now 7.0.6) hangs when loading web pages whereas other browsers (Chrome, Firefox) work just fine. I've ran my tests on WiFi with two different routers as well as through iPhone tethering.

Here are the steps I have taken so far but the problem persists:

- re-installed my MacBook Air completely with the latest image from the App Store

- Reset Safari

- Disabled extensions

- Unchecked "Warn when visiting fraudulent website"

- Unchecked "Stop plug-ins to save power"

- In the Develop menu, checked "Disable caches"

- In WiFi settings, disabled IPv6

- Changed DNS to OpenDNS

- Deleted all Safari plist, caches, favicons cache, etc.

- Turned off Safari in iCloud settings

- Fixed permissions, rebooted

- Disabled the prefetch setting from terminal

- Emptied all my logs, launched Safari and tried to open this url: https://pragprog.com/login . Here is the (anonymised) result:

20/08/14 17:12:05.179 ubd[178]: ApplePushService: Timed out making blocking call, failed to perform call via XPC connection to 'com.apple.apsd'

20/08/14 17:12:05.681 AOSPushRelay[252]: ApplePushService: Timed out making blocking call, failed to perform call via XPC connection to 'com.apple.apsd'

20/08/14 17:12:05.909 parentalcontrolsd[271]: StartObservingFSEvents [849:] -- *** StartObservingFSEvents started event stream

20/08/14 17:12:06.112 UserEventAgent[11]: Captive: CNPluginHandler en0: Authenticated

20/08/14 17:12:06.513 accountsd[212]: /SourceCache/Accounts/Accounts-336.9/ACDAuthenticationPluginManager.m - -[ACDAuthenticationPluginManager credentialForAccount:client:handler:] - 230 - The authentication plugin for account “myname@gmail.com" (20DDC449-9F11-4479-8D9C-11BBC43D96AD) could not be found!

20/08/14 17:12:06.514 accountsd[212]: /SourceCache/Accounts/Accounts-336.9/ACDAccountStore.m - __62-[ACDAccountStore credentialForAccountWithIdentifier:handler:]_block_invoke389 - 857 - No plugin provides credentials for account myname@gmail.com. Falling back to legacy behavior.

20/08/14 17:12:06.668 com.apple.time[148]: Interval maximum value is 946100000 seconds (specified value: 9223372036854775807).

20/08/14 17:12:06.708 com.apple.NotesMigratorService[272]: Joined Aqua audit session

20/08/14 17:12:06.784 gamed[215]: CKSoftwareMap: Registering with Daemon

20/08/14 17:12:06.922 soagent[188]: No active accounts, killing soagent in 10 seconds

20/08/14 17:12:06.925 soagent[188]: No active accounts, killing soagent in 10 seconds

20/08/14 17:12:08.771 login[276]: USER_PROCESS: 276 ttys000

20/08/14 17:12:14.115 apsd[99]: Failed to evaluate trust: No error. (0), result=5; retrying with revocation checking optional

20/08/14 17:12:16.041 login[276]: DEAD_PROCESS: 276 ttys000

20/08/14 17:12:17.915 soagent[188]: Killing soagent.

20/08/14 17:12:17.916 NotificationCenter[175]: SOHelperCenter main connection interrupted

20/08/14 17:12:17.916 com.apple.dock.extra[183]: SOHelperCenter main connection interrupted

20/08/14 17:12:17.917 NotificationCenter[175]: SOHelperCenter main connection interrupted

20/08/14 17:12:17.919 imagent[194]: [Warning] Denying xpc connection, task does not have entitlement: com.apple.private.icfcallserver (soagent:188)

20/08/14 17:12:17.919 imagent[194]: [Warning] Denying xpc connection, task does not have entitlement: com.apple.private.icfcallserver (soagent:188)

20/08/14 17:12:21.911 Dropbox[210]: ICARegisterForEventNotification-Has been deprecated since 10.5. Calls to this function in the future may crash this application. Please move to ImageCaptureCore

20/08/14 17:12:23.437 com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100006 created

20/08/14 17:12:24.189 apsd[99]: Unrecognized leaf certificate

20/08/14 17:12:39.791 apsd[99]: Unrecognized leaf certificate

20/08/14 17:13:48.016 apsd[99]: Failed to send activation record to service com.apple.ManagedClient.enroll

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated, it's driving me nuts and currently have to use Chrome.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 8:32 AM

16 replies

Aug 20, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Akarin

One strange thing also: I fix permissions, reboot and when I run fix permissions again, it keeps telling permissions differs on Safari. Here's a screenshot:

User uploaded file

I also deleted all the passwords in my keychain, deleted all the bookmarks and emptied the reading list, just in case there was some corruption there. Still no success.

Aug 20, 2014 11:18 AM in response to Akarin

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If nothing above helped, troubleshoot Safari extensions.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

Aug 20, 2014 1:36 PM in response to Akarin

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Aug 20, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi both of you,

If you read the original post, you'll see that I've done this already.

Thanks.

EDIT: I realize I didn't mention the try with guest login but it is one of the first step I tried when trying to troubleshoot the issue. Same with safe mode. The issue persists even though all the other browsers work fine, from Chrome to the curl command.

Aug 20, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Akarin

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main Recovery screen.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Aug 20, 2014 10:43 PM in response to Akarin

If that means you tested with a clean installation, no other software installed and nothing restored from a backup, then either the problem is caused by a hardware fault (practically impossible) or the cause is external to your computer. I am using the same version of OS X and Safari as you and I have no problems. And I'm given false or misleading information on this site every day.

Aug 20, 2014 10:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

As said, this is a clean install. I have a Mac mini and a MacBook Pro running the same OS version with no issue. A hardware failure is unlikely as the other browsers have no issue, nor any other software using an internet connection.

Edit: the console log I posted seems to contain many errors but I don't know what they mean and if they are relevant to my problem.

Aug 20, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Akarin

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Aug 21, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

As said in the first post:

I've ran my tests on WiFi with two different routers as well as through iPhone tethering.

One router at work and one at home, two different brands + iPhone tethering. Also tried with Google DNS and OpenDNS. My hunch about certificates is that

1) other browsers are just doing fine, snappy and all

2) the logs posted above contain this line: apsd[99]: Failed to evaluate trust: No error. (0), result=5; retrying with revocation checking optional

I can browse fine and develop with Chrome but I would also like to test my UI using Safari (the problem also appears when browsing on localhost:3000, the standard Rails port when Webrick is running). And the integration between iOS and Safari is much better than with iOS Chrome and OS X Chrome.

Aug 21, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Akarin

If all the facts are as stated, then you've ruled out everything except a hardware fault (unlikely), a bug in the OS (which I can't reproduce), or something external to the computer. That's all I can tell you.

I'm assuming that you have the problem with more than one website. If it's only one, then the cause is on that site. You may have been banned by the site operator, for example.

Safari not loading pages, other browsers doing fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.