Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity monitor file cache

In activity monitor it shows that I have 16GB of physical memory, 12.77 GB used memory, 16GB virtual memory.

It also shows App memory 1.9GB, FILE CACHE 9.56GB and wired memory 1.31GB.

My question is in regards to file cache at 9.56GB. What is file cache and why is it so high? Does this mean I should install more memory? I looked file cache up and I think it's memory that has been used but is not being used currently, it's waiting to be used again. Not sure if that's right though, or what it really means. Thanks for any help.

Late 2013 27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i5

16GB ram

OSX 10.9.4

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 11:22 AM

Start with OS X Mavericks: About Activity Monitor

iMac refurb (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), SL & ML, G4 450 MP w/Leopard, 9.2.2

3 replies

Aug 20, 2014 11:24 PM in response to baltwo

Thank you, that helps. I'm not super tech savvy, but this is what I took from that article.

The app memory + wired memory + file cache = memory used. So since the memory used includes file cache, I'm not really running out of memory as I thought I was. The file cache is basically RAM on stand by in case it's needed by any app. God, I hope I got that right! 😕

The memory pressure on my activity monitor shows green.

Activity monitor file cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.