Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access folders on desktop from my laptop

Recently purchased a new desktop computer and when I try to work on a file from my desktop from my laptop, I can get into the documents folder, but they're not there. The only thing in the documents folder is ".localized" in grey.

I've compared what was set on the "sharing" ( internet- wireless) on my old desktop and compared to the new one and it looks the same, but it doesn't work. Suggestions?

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 11:21 AM

15 replies

Aug 23, 2014 11:45 AM in response to Dee Stokoe

You could use a flash drive to move the files you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You could try ftp.

You could use FTP.

*Local Lan*

Whether or not you need a cross over cable to connect between two computers depends on the model of the computers. Most newer computers and newer Ethernet hubs automatically detect the the send and receive wires on the Ethernet port so you do not need to use a crossover cable. Older computers and older Ethernet hubs did not auto-detect, so you need the proper cable. You could use a cross over cable to attach your machine to another computer.

I use pureFTP server. It comes as part of PureFTPd Manager software download at this site.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12630

PureFTPd Manager is the gui program manager for the pureFTP server.

*Across the internet*

Try:

PureFTPd Manager. Free. Is the server. It runs on your home computer. I found PureFTP easier to use than the Apple solution in Tiger. The apple solution could have changed.

You would have to contend with these issues:

Enable your Mac firewall to pass ftp traffic.

Do you have a local router? Enable it's firewall. Tell it to pass ftp data to your home mac.

One your other mac, run one of these ftp clients:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12753786#12753786

Unable to access folders on desktop from my laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.