Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't start. Stuck on white screen with Apple logo.

My MacBook Pro won't boot past the white startup screen with the Apple logo. After doing some trouble shooting my best guess is that the issue is either an issue with the logic board or the hard drive, but I am no expert so I may not be right. Here is what I have tried so far. I have done all these steps multiple times and the results have varied, but here are my most recent results:

1) First off, there are no peripherals connected so that is already ruled out as the cause.

2) When I try starting up in safe mode (holding shift while starting), the Apple logo, spinning wheel and progress bar appear. The progress bar fills about a third of the way then stops. I have left it for quite a long time and it still stays at a third of the way.

3) When running a safe boot (holding shift+command+v at startup) it gives me a " SATA WARNING: Enable auto-activate failed" message, and then eventually times out. Here is the full message:

User uploaded file

4) Resetting the PRAM (holding option+command+p+r at startup) does the second chime but only results in the flashing folder icon with the question mark.

5) I tried booting up the computer in single user mode (holding command+s at startup) and running fsck -fy, it again gives me a "SATA WARNING: Enable auto-activate failed", then eventually times out. Here is the full message:

User uploaded file

6) I tried booting in recovery mode (holding option while starting). When I do this I do not get the OSX utilities screen. Instead I get a white screen, sometimes my hard drive shows up on the screen, sometimes it does not. If i boot in recovery mode with my osx install disc inserted the disc appears. If I select the hard drive we are just back to the apple logo and spinning wheel. If I select the install disc it goes to the apple logo/spinning wheel again, sometimes it allows me to start running the install, but then when it gets to the step where you select the hard drive to run the install on, no hard drives appear.

So that's where I'm at. I do not care about losing any data because luckily I backed up this machine right before this started happening, so I am open to any suggestions, even ones that may incur data loss. I bought this MacBook new in May 2009, so I'm obviously way past any warranty or Apple Care. Does anybody have a suggestion of where to go from here? Is this thing worth fixing or is it too far gone?

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 7:00 PM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2014 7:30 PM in response to jkozicky

Are you using a 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD? If yes, you can erase and install following these directions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910

You'll know whether or not it is a hard drive issue when you get to step 8 under "Part One: Erasing the hard drive". If you do not see your hard drive in the list on the left side of the Disk Utility window then you know the Mac isn't seeing it—could be a loose cable, but more likely hard drive failure.

If you can see it on the left, click on it and look at the bottom of the Disk Utility window. If you see something like "S.M.A.R.T status: failing" that is definitely a hard drive issue. Otherwise, you can just follow the directions for an erase and install!

Might be worth fixing depending how much a repair would cost. Genius Bar could at least diagnose it for you and give a repair estimate. I'd look at what a new or refurbished one with your same specs would cost though to see if the price differential is worth it...

Aug 20, 2014 8:06 PM in response to odd reel

Thanks for the quick responses!

I followed the instructions on the link you sent and my hard drive did not show up on the list on the left side. But you also mentioned it could be a loose cable which may be a possibility since sometimes when I boot the computer in recovery mode (holding option at startup) my hard drive appears...and sometimes it doesn't. Thoughts?

Would it be a bad idea for someone like me who doesn't know much about the inner workings of computers to open it up and try to see if it is indeed only a loose connection? Would it be a relatively easy fix? Like I said this computer is way past its warranty so it's not like I am risking voiding the warranty...

Aug 20, 2014 8:28 PM in response to jkozicky

Yea, I would avoid opening it up if you are unsure of where/what to check. If it is something that simple (I hope it is, though that would be rare) certainly a computer technician would be able to fix it up for you at minimal cost. Were I you, I'd honestly make an appointment and take it to the genius bar to have them look at it since they give free diagnosis. You can always decline the repair if it turns out to be too much. I would hope they could just fix it on the spot if it turns out to be the cable. Either way, they should be able to say definitively where the failure is occurring.

Umm... kind of a long shot on this but if you MUST know what is happening ASAP you might try the Apple Hardware Test: Using Apple Hardware Test

For some reason it doesn't always work and it seems like there is minimal/no explanation at this point as to why it works on some macs and not on others.

Aug 20, 2014 8:57 PM in response to odd reel

I just ran the Apple Hardware Test and it said, "No trouble found". I will try the extended test...

I know how to locate the hard drive, I installed RAM in my old Powerbook and have a basic understanding of their inner workings. Can't hurt to open it up and see if the cable is loose, right? What is your opinion on this self help article I found?

http://gizmodo.com/quick-and-easy-macbook-repairs-thatll-save-you-a-small-991788 866

Aug 20, 2014 9:50 PM in response to jkozicky

Curios that it found nothing wrong with the hardware. Maybe we have a simple fix after all. 🙂. The article you included is a great find. I would also check out the 6th comment on that page by 'otterman'. Having the right tools for the job is the biggest part of any home repair. Actually I find the site they linked to is even more helpful—you can get detailed replacement guides for your specific macbook pro: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro. Do be careful if you are taking the plunge and let me know how it goes!

MacBook Pro won't start. Stuck on white screen with Apple logo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.