Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why startup disk cannot be set as Macintosh?

My problem is that when if I boot into my windows partition, subsequently everytime I boot it up it will start in Windows. It doesnt matter if I changed the startup disk to Mac. As long as once I manually boot into windows, all subsequent start up will be windows. Until I have to manually boot to Mac and then change the startup disk to Mac again.

This is really troublesome, is there any way to set the startup disk once and for all as Mac? My previous Macbook on Snow Leopard didnt have this problem at all. It will always boot into Mac unless I manually switch to windows.

I am on OS X 10.9.4, and bootcamp 5.1.2 with Windows 8.1 installed.

Thank you for any help!! 😀

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 11:08 AM

Hi Messyships,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

For computer start up preferences I would recommend reading over the attached article.

Mac Basics: Using Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

After installation, you can switch between Windows and OS X by holding the Option (Alt) key at start up. Or, use the Startup Disk control panel in Windows (installed with Boot Camp support software) or the OS X Startup Disk preference pane to set the default operating system to use each time the computer starts up.

Have a great day,

Joe

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2014 11:08 AM in response to Messyships

Hi Messyships,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

For computer start up preferences I would recommend reading over the attached article.

Mac Basics: Using Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

After installation, you can switch between Windows and OS X by holding the Option (Alt) key at start up. Or, use the Startup Disk control panel in Windows (installed with Boot Camp support software) or the OS X Startup Disk preference pane to set the default operating system to use each time the computer starts up.

Have a great day,

Joe

Aug 25, 2014 9:59 AM in response to joe_73

Hi Joe!

Thank you very much for replying to my question. Following your advice I checked the startup disk preference in Windows and realised that was the problem. Strangely, when on Mac I've the option of both disks, but in my Windows, there is only one choice: to boot into Windows. This explains why everytime Windows is used it will automatically boot back into Windows. Is there a solution to this? Any way you know of that I can add my Mac disk to be one option for my Windows?

Sorry if it sounds too confusing..

Thanks once again!

Why startup disk cannot be set as Macintosh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.