Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New airport express will not show up in airport utility.

I have a new airport express and plug it in and all it does is flash amber. I plugged it in via ethernet cable to my extreme and it will show up in the utility as other wi fi devices. I click on it and it looks for my Mac Pro but then says "unexpected error and try again". When it does this it knocks out my internet connection from my cable modem. I have 2 other expresses in the house that show up in AU and are green. I can't get the Aex to show up at all if I power off and without the eithernet cable. Tried resets too. OSX 10.9.4. Airport utility 6.3.2. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Aug 21, 2014 9:58 AM

11 replies

Aug 21, 2014 1:30 PM in response to Mr.Jibby

Is the Ethernet cable from your MacPro connected to the WAN 'O' port or the LAN port? You should try to use the LAN port. If that does not work then you can try the following steps.

For the iPad (from Bob Timmons's steps and AirPort base station doesn't appear in AirPort Utility 1.3 for iOS )

1. Please go back to the home screen on the iPad

2. Tap Settings

3. Tap WiFi

4. Just under the heading of Setup a New AirPort Base Station, the AirPort Extreme should appear. Does it? If yes,

5. Tap on AirPort Extreme to start the setup wizard

New airport express will not show up in airport utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.