Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud login arrow (-->) dimmed out

It is a nice feature to be able to access iCloud.com on my PC (Windows 7)--and to see the same iOS Calendar and Notes I have on my iPhone and iPad Mini.
When it works. The problem is that I can only log into iCloud.com from my PC intermittently. I haven't changed my Apple ID login or any settings on my PC. Sometimes I go to https://www.icloud.com/ and I can see my iOS Calendar & Notes just fine; other times I get stuck on the "Sign in to iCloud" panel, with the iCloud login arrow (-->) dimmed out. I cannot proceed onto the website, even though my Apple ID login is correct. I'm not getting an error message either; I just cannot proceed. With the iCloud login arrow (-->) dimmed out, I don't see any way around that "Sign in to iCloud" panel.

The really frustrating thing is that I can go onto iCloud.com successfully for several days, at a stretch; then, for several days I cannot. I never know when it is going to work.

I've tried rebooting my PC, clearing my browser history, turning off my iPhone & iPad (I'm grasping at straws). Nothing helps. I would appear to be at the whims of the gods.

Thank you for your help.

Jack

Windows 7, Lenovo PC

Posted on Aug 21, 2014 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2014 11:09 AM

Have you tried using a different browser on the same computer? Either way, which browser are you using? You mentioned clearing your browsing history, but didn't say anything about clearing the browser cache and/or cookies. All of these would be good troubleshooting steps. For what it's worth, I use iCloud from a Win7 computer every day (including right now) and don't have those issues. I'm usually using the latest version of Chrome but also occasionally use Firefox, IE and even Safari without issue. Not rubbing it in but simply suggesting the problem may be something with your browser and isn't a broader Win7 incompatibility.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2014 11:09 AM in response to jck0109

Have you tried using a different browser on the same computer? Either way, which browser are you using? You mentioned clearing your browsing history, but didn't say anything about clearing the browser cache and/or cookies. All of these would be good troubleshooting steps. For what it's worth, I use iCloud from a Win7 computer every day (including right now) and don't have those issues. I'm usually using the latest version of Chrome but also occasionally use Firefox, IE and even Safari without issue. Not rubbing it in but simply suggesting the problem may be something with your browser and isn't a broader Win7 incompatibility.

Aug 21, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Brent Rossow

Thank you for your reply, Brent.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I use IE 11.

I did fire up Chrome, after I got your email, and it has the same problem. And that got me to thinking.

Something else I did not mention is that I use a password manager. It never occurred to me that it could be the problem (this is the only site it has ever failed with). But when I turned the password manager off and entered my Apple credentials manually, the login arrow became enabled and I could log into iCloud, both with IE & Chrome.

But (for what it's worth) I also figured out a way to log into iCloud with the password manager active (because it's a pain to be turning it off and on). I got to thinking (from GUI programming) how I use events to enable & disable controls; and I started playing with the Apple ID & password fields and the cursor movement keys. This is one of multiple sequences that will work:

(1) The password manager automatically fills in the Apple credentials but the login arrow button remains disabled.

(2) Place the cursor in the password field.

(3) Tab back to the ID field (which becomes hi-lighted).

(4) Press the End key.

(5) Tab forward to the password field (which then becomes hi-lighted).

(6) Press the End key.

The login arrow is now enabled and I can log into iCloud.

So the problem is solved. It's just all a little weird. 🙂

Brent, thanks for your help.

iCloud login arrow (-->) dimmed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.