Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help! Network newbie stuck with paused printer & can't unpause it!!!!

I added a HP laserjet 4250 to my network and can't unpause it. Had printer turned on and connected via usb to my router. I entered the original printer hostname.+my network name.local, selected direct socket, and chose the hp driver for 4250 with the printer feature selections. The printer added on but shown as paused & I can't unpause it. Am using Mac mini and Mac OS 10.5.8. Any suggestions really appreciated!!!!!!!!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 1:16 AM

7 replies

Aug 23, 2014 10:19 AM in response to vegasfem

Hi, give this a try...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.5.x+++

1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.5.x, follow these steps:

2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

Aug 23, 2014 2:58 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua,

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it but unfortunately it did not work for me. Still paused. I think that I am messing up someway in filling out the info needed to add the printer using IP. I put in the printer's factory set name.my network.local; pick jet socket; then wondering how to fill out the rest of the page info??? It must be where I am stuck???

Aug 23, 2014 6:37 PM in response to BDAqua

Glad to. Here is my muddle:

airport shows connection is ethernet,

IPv4 is using DHCP

IP address 98.212.11.252

Subnet Mask 255.255.252.0

router (airport extreme) address 98.212.8.1

wireless network name is hispanics

Below is what I have been trying for the above IP inputs using HP Jetdirect - socket

Address: npI155f51.hispanics.local

Queue: left blank

Name: hp laserjet 4250dtn

Location: here I have tried 98.212.8.10 after setting the address in the printer control panel

print using; here I have tried the postscript generic it defaults to, & the specific 4250 driver listed in the printer list, & the gutenprint v5.2.3 all with same results.

Aug 24, 2014 2:38 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes

BDAqua, thanks for your help. i have just discovered that it is probably not a mac problem at all but a hardware problem with the printer. Going on HP forums, and checking the printer configuration, it appears that the printer jetdrive is not working properly. It is showing a loss of connection error which forum users point out will probably require it's card to be switched out. So, I am going to have to take this problem there for a solution. Thank-you much though!

Please Help! Network newbie stuck with paused printer & can't unpause it!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.