Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Photozoom extension?!

Hi,

does anyone know how a Safari "Photozoom" extension might have been installed --- without authorization?!

I can't find any related message in the console app either.

Thank you very much, best regards

Hp

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 12:54 AM

10 replies

Aug 22, 2014 5:02 AM in response to Peter R.

If your Mac is running v10.7 or later, make sure Gatekeeper is enabled.

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Select: Mac App Store and identified developers

OS X: About Gatekeeper

I installed that extension without any problems to test. If you're not satisfied with the extension, you can uninstall it from Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

Aug 22, 2014 5:57 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Normally, when an extension is installed, you need to authorize this.

With Photozoom, I wasn't. I would have refused if I had been asked. But I wasn't. It's a process that ran without my knowledge / authorization and that installed something that I had no knowledge of. So I'm worried, and I want to know how this could happen. Is there a security hole? How could my admin privileges be ignored?

Dec 28, 2014 6:33 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

thank you so much this is the best method to uninstall any unwanted extension. I saw in another thread going through folders and trying to delete it, but it didn't work and i probably deleted something important hah oh well. the thing still didn't leave and i found this thread and now it is gone because of you. thanks so much and I'm going to spread the word! 😎

Safari Photozoom extension?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.