Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do some messages get sent as Text messages, when they're being sent to another iPhone?

I have several friends with iPhones. For most of them, when I send them messages, it goes through iMessage and the bubbles are blue. But for two of my friends, they are being sent as text messages with a green bubble, even though we all have iPhones. Why is that?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 1:40 PM

One reason could be that those 2 friends don't have iMessage turned on in Settings > Messages. I don't.

4 replies

Aug 22, 2014 3:13 PM in response to FoxFifth

I checked with one of my friends that this was happening with and she did, in fact, have iMessage turned off. She didn't remember turning it off, but once she turned it back on, the messages were sent via iMessage. Thanks!

Based on another reply that stated that wifi connection may be the problem:

Wifi has nothing to do with it, as one of my friends who messages were going back and forth using iMessage has wifi turned off while she's at work, and yet, they were still iMessage.

Why do some messages get sent as Text messages, when they're being sent to another iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.