Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto: Lost 'events' folders-2 weeks work lost?

A family friend asked for photos in folders. I bought UBS Pen drive, then selected 'events' on my iMac and dragged them to a 128 GB USB pen drive.

30,000 photos are now on pen drive but 'events' have disappeared from my Mac

A couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to recover my events on I mac?

2) Is there a way to move the photos in folders onto pen drive?

Having spent two weeks sorting photos (Including scanned photos) into event folders any suggestions on how to recover this work would be appreciated.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 12:57 AM

18 replies

Aug 23, 2014 1:24 AM in response to Neil Radford

A family friend asked for photos in folders. I bought UBS Pen drive, then selected 'events' on my iMac and dragged them to a 128 GB USB pen drive.

30,000 photos are now on pen drive but 'events' have disappeared from my Mac

It is not clear to me, what exactly you have done.

Where did you "select events"? In iPhoto, or is there a folder "events" somewhere on your mac? Dragging a folder to a pen drive will not delete the folder from your internal drive, it will just copy it, unless you hold down the options key. And selecting events in iPhoto and dragging them to a folder on a pen drive will also not delete the events from iPhoto. So, how and what have you been dragging?

Are you using the most recent iPhoto '11 or an earlier version?

Aug 25, 2014 3:45 PM in response to Yer_Man

What do you see in the iPhoto window? Against the events nothing, against photos my photos are showing,

1) Is there a way to recover my events on I mac?

Do you have a back up? I have an external USB hard drive plugged into my mac.

2) Is there a way to move the photos in folders onto pen drive?

If photos ar ein Folders then they're not in iPhoto, right? So drag and drop. In iphoto there is 'events' this is a feature of iPhoto.

I also have i phone, The events feature and all events still show there. I guess I will be able to retrieve 'event's by plugging phone to mac via USB but slightly worried in case it synchs info from mac instead and wipes those out as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aug 26, 2014 12:51 AM in response to Neil Radford

'events' is a feature of iPhoto version 9.5.1.

I know, I wanted to know, how you selected "events" to drag them to a pen drive. Your " then selected 'events' on my iMac" was a bit ambiguous. tHat could have meant a folder on the Mac, since you did not mention iPhoto's Events view.

I did not hold the options key, photos are still there just to 'events'.

If the photos are still there in "Photos" , they are in some event. A photo cannot exist in an iPhoto library without being included in exactly one event. Select one of the photos with the missing event in "Photos" view, ctrl click or right click it and select "Show event" from the panel. Can you find your missing events this way? Are the events still the same, or have they been merged into one?

Aug 26, 2014 1:01 AM in response to léonie

Hi

Thank you.

I selected events and dragged to USB pen drive.

I took a chance last night hoping that events would come back from I phone to Mac sadly they have now gone from I phone as well. I have time machine operating and tried to go back using that but events did not return.

Starting to get worried now. Many thanks for you help to date. Any further advise would be really appreciated.

Best regards

Neil

Sent from my i phone

Aug 31, 2014 5:03 PM in response to léonie

Hi. Brilliant News I have recovered all my events. Thank you very much for your replies. Nathan at Apple helped me resolve this over the phone with screen share. This would not have been possible had it not been for your replies and those from Terence. I had almost given up but now realise how good Apple systems are even for nervous users such as myself. My next objective is to find a way to transfer photos into event folders on pen drive so I can pass on to a family member. Problem is they have a PC not a mac. Any suggestions?

Sep 3, 2014 4:52 PM in response to LarryHN

hello there LarryHN

if i follow the instructions as above….and drag that folder from the desktop to a mounted external hard drive, will the "event" move as well, or just the individual photos?

say I move the external hard drive to my MacBook Air, and import that "event" into my iPhoto on the MBAir, will it show up as an event?

regards

Sep 3, 2014 4:59 PM in response to SKWLEE

I just tried and failed.

I picked an event which contained 10 photos - and selected the event - then within iPhoto went

File

export

File export ( as opposed to photo bucket/picasa/web page /Quicktime/slideshow)

export

to desktop

outcome - 10 separate photos on my desktop

rather than one "event" containing 10 photos

Please can you advise as to what I am doing wrong?

I am using iPhoto 09 on a OS X 10.7.5

many thanks

Sep 3, 2014 5:04 PM in response to SKWLEE

You are confusing things

to put photos on a pen drive

Very simple - select the photos (or events) in iPhoto and export (file menu ==> export) to a desktop folder - see the user tip on exporting for details - Exporting From iPhoto - and then drag that folder from the desktop to the mounted, unlocked Pen drive using the finder

To move events between iPhoto libraries is totally different -- the only way to do that is using the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager

LN

Iphoto: Lost 'events' folders-2 weeks work lost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.