Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi. I've had a MacBook Pro for years. Just bought a MacBook Air. Trying to share files between machines. Tried Sharing folders - other Mac appears in SHARED folder in finder, 'connection failed' appears when I click. Similar with Airdrop.

Hi. I've had a MacBook Pro for years. Just bought a MacBook Air. Trying to share files between machines. Tried Sharing folders - other Mac appears in SHARED folder in finder, 'connection failed' appears when I click. Similar with Airdrop - i.e. can see the other Mac, but can't share anything?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 3:34 AM

Try walking through the process here and see if it helps:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/sharing.html

It was written for Snow Leopard but the process appears to be much the same in Mavericks.

13 replies

Sep 4, 2014 7:39 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger,

I am having the same problem as zamoocher though I used to have a connection which now fails to operate. I too can connect from my laptop to my desktop but the opposite fails, even though I was doing this up until last week. I haven't installed any new software and I have been through the process you referred to (though I did not get the option referred to when I double clicked in (I think it was) step 7).

Sep 6, 2014 4:11 PM in response to Mind Aligned

Hello again. I tried that with no luck. I have now plugged my backup drive in (USB) and it is also showing connection failed. All connections are accessible from the laptop but not the desktop. I have been looking around and tried some other approaches. I have disabled the smb and left afp and rebooted but no change. It is clearly a problem in this desktop and just showed up for no obvious reason. The firewall is off (but it is on on the laptop). I have removed all apostrophes. I would like to clear it and rebuild it but I can't backup the latest files to the time machine as the connection fails. I am at my wits end and am considering lugging both computers to the genius bar.

Hi. I've had a MacBook Pro for years. Just bought a MacBook Air. Trying to share files between machines. Tried Sharing folders - other Mac appears in SHARED folder in finder, 'connection failed' appears when I click. Similar with Airdrop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.