Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I go to install OS X on the disk utility I got a prompt telling me that Mac 10.7 is not available. I am connected to the internet. What do I do in order to install OS?

My laptop was running slow while in the regular mode, but in safe mode it would work fine. I deleted all of the content through the disk utility. Once I would go back to the recovery mode prompt and click on install os I go to the next page and get a prompt that says mac os x 10.7 is not available. There also is no picture to the left of the OS system like most people have on their recovery mode screen on the install option. Please help!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 11:05 AM

5 replies

Aug 23, 2014 3:18 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Here are the details:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)

I did purchase this laptop from my brother a couple years ago. He told me the first operating system that was on the laptop was OS X 10.6. He gave me the disc to install, but unfortunately my CD drive doesn't fully work. When I insert a disc it attempts to load the disc, but then ejects after the disc has been in there for about ten seconds. I was planning on buying one of those lens cleaners discs here soon and then see what happens.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Aug 23, 2014 3:32 PM in response to cernstes

cernstes wrote:

I was planning on buying one of those lens cleaners discs here soon and then see what happens.

That might do. There is the 'poor man's' alternative. Take a fine microfiber cloth (eyeglasses cleaning cloth) and wrap it around a business card. Insert it gently into the slot. Some times it works. Do not dismiss the possibility that the DVD drive is kaput.

I did purchase this laptop from my brother a couple years ago. He told me the first operating system that was on the laptop was OS X 10.6. He gave me the disc to install,

According to the information that I have, a Mid 2009 MBP came with Leopard (10.5). You will have to install Leopard (if you have the original disk) or purchase from the online store a Snow Leopard (10.6.3) retail disk.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

This disk is a requisite in order to install and run Lion (10.7) or any other newer OSX. You have to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 before downloading and installing Lion.

Ciao.

Aug 23, 2014 4:37 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I may try and do that method to see if it will fix the disc drive, if not I'm still going to have to get that disc drive repaired because if I am going to be purchasing the snow leopard disc I need for it to load. So first step, repair the disc drive and then once it is fixed try installing the disc I have (10.6) and see if it works from there. If not then order those other discs you mentioned.

Do you think this is the best way to approach this problem?

When I go to install OS X on the disk utility I got a prompt telling me that Mac 10.7 is not available. I am connected to the internet. What do I do in order to install OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.