Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't log onto facetime on my mac. My apple ID and password is correct and it is working on my ipad/iphone. My facetime preferences is grayed out and I keep having to turn facetime on. My screen gets stuck on signing in or verifying.

I have used facetime on my mac recently and have not had this problem until today. Facetime seems to have logged out on all of my devices but after putting my password in on my iphone/ipad it is back to normal however my Macbook will not allow me to log in. I also noticed that facetime preferences is grayed and I keep trying to turn facetime on and that is graying out as well. I put in my email and password and I get stuck on "signing in". Or I get past that and I verify my email and password and I get stuck on "verifying" only to get booted back to the sign in page. My OS is up to date, my wifi is on and working and I have no firewall on my home network. I cannot figure out how to fix this. I have tried some previous message troubleshooting such as updating the DNS entry to add 8.8.8.8 and that did not work. I have tried to toggle facetime on and restart but that did not work. I can't delete and reinstall facetime as it is connected to the OS and will not allow you to do that.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2009), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 11:56 AM

Hi there,

You may find the troubleshooting steps in the article below helpful.

FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4185

-Griff W.

29 replies

Aug 27, 2014 5:38 AM in response to griff w

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, the troubleshooting link you added has the first step listed as "Verify that FaceTime is enabled in FaceTime > Preferences" which we (the original poster and I) can't do as our Preferences are greyed out. We can't click on them to verify anything. 😟

In FaceTime itself it's verified my apple id (also double checked via the site) and then it says the email is "verified" but then it freezes and after a minute or so it says "Could not verify the email address. Please check your network connection and try again."

After checking the network connection, it still doesn't work. It's rather frustrating as it all worked fine until about a week or two ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

-H

Aug 27, 2014 8:20 PM in response to LoveH01

interesting - I can't even get past "verifying" when I try to log on. Also, this happened before I updated to the latest iOS update. After it happended I updated my iOS because sometimes this solves issues with FaceTime not being up to date but it is still happening ! I'm trying to avoid bringing it in to a genius because if it is an iOS issue they will not be able to help. Thanks for all the suggestions .

Sep 5, 2014 7:58 PM in response to Suzie G4

Okay, so I somehow worked it out.

Go to your iMessage, open it up and sign out. Then try and sign in again and it will not allow you too, click on the button that doesn't say cancel. It then opened Safari and gave me a validation code and said I had to call AppleCare.

So I called and the automated service wanted my serial number and then told me me computer wasn't covered and did I want to purchase cover, I said no and then after a couple of choices which I ignored I just said verification code. Then the service connected me to speak to an advisor.

I told the advisor I had an iMessage verification code, so I gave him it and he helped me with it at Apple's end. (No charge)

I then signed into my iMessage and the password was accepted. Then I signed into FaceTime and low and behold it opened up.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

Good luck

I can't log onto facetime on my mac. My apple ID and password is correct and it is working on my ipad/iphone. My facetime preferences is grayed out and I keep having to turn facetime on. My screen gets stuck on signing in or verifying.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.