Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting server account to local account

I had setup a Mac mini with OS X Server (Mavericks). I have three server accounts on the server with their Home folders also hosted on the server so the three users can login to their accounts from either one of the two iMacs (also running Mavericks). I also have Profile Manager setup to further manage the two devices and three users.

What I would like to do is to take down the server and convert the server accounts to local accounts. I'll need to put two of the server accounts / Home folders on one iMac and the remaining server account / Home folder to the other Mac. I am already beginning to remove the Profile Manager profiles from the two Macs as part of the transfer.

Now, I know that I can, from the iMacs, choose to create corresponding Mobile Accounts which will effectively create an exact copy of the user's Home Folder on the server on to the iMacs. Can I then delete the Server Home folder / take down the Server, unbind the iMacs from the Server and the local account will now start functioning like a typical local account?

Is there a better way to do this?

I see no instructions on this (I have seen instructions on converting / moving a Local account to a Server account - although Apple says there is no easy / direct way to do this (How to convert a local user account to a network user account)

Thanks and I am waiting for your exciting reply!!

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), OS X Server, 8GB RAM

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 3:17 PM

You would unbind from the directory server, then create local accounts with the same names as the network accounts. The permissions of the user files will need to be corrected, which you can do in the Finder or in the shell.

2 replies

Converting server account to local account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.